How do I create a duplicate store with a different custom domain to sell new product?

BOB_BDLFC
3 0 0

We publish and sell an annual directory for the Catholic Church in the US. Last year I set up a Shopify account and store where we could direct customers from email promotions to purchase the currently available 2020 edition of the directory. The store is linked to a custom domain (2020ocd.com). I now need to send email promotions to market and sell the 2021 edition (due out in Summer 2021) so customers can pre-order their copies. I need to keep the existing store and domain active as we're still receiving orders from that store. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Can I set up a duplicate store, link it to a new custom domain (2021ocd.com) with the appropriate images/prices for the 2021 edition? Thanks.

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1212 71 154

Hi there @BOB_BDLFC!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out here via our Community forums and for summarising your requirements in detail, that's really helpful!

As it would only be possible to have one distinct Shopify store per account if you wish to set up another store with a separate (related) product catalog on a different domain you would indeed need to duplicate that store to a new store and account.

Luckily, there is a fair bit of info you can backup and duplicate from your existing store to make this an easier transfer for you.

Would you have secured the domain you require yet in order to be able to link it to your upcoming store?

If you've got a third-party domain, you can check out how to connect it to your Shopify store if you need a quick refresher on how that works.

Are you working on this project alone, or do you have some staff or developers you prefer to work with?

In any case, let us know how we can help out here as you work on this.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
BOB_BDLFC
3 0 0
Okay, thanks Don.

No, I've been doing the Shopify work on my own. 

I'd prefer not to set up and pay for a separate account. Is there another way to achieve my end-goal, the ability to offer two different product collections at different price points on the same store but present them to two different audiences (i.e. link from the email promoting 2021 products would lead to a landing page with only the 2021 product collection from where the customer could check-out; recipients wouldn't see the 2020 collection. Conversely, recipients of the 2020 product emails, would reach a landing page with just the 2020 product collection from where they could check out)?

Thank you.
Bob

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1212 71 154

Hi again @BOB_BDLFC!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for that feedback!

I looked into ways you might accomplish this but it would not be possible to use domains in that way with just the one Shopify store.

As an alternative, you can look into using an app like Locksmith to restrict how customers access your store.

This app specifically states that you can restrict access to only those arriving via a 'secret link', which might work for the scenario you have described here.

There are a number of apps like this you can check out to see which might best suit your needs.

As with all third-party apps in our store, you can reach out to the developers directly with any support queries you have by using the contact details listed there on the app store page.

If there's nothing there you feel is good for what you need, you can look into having a custom solution created for you by a Shopify Expert developer.

Of course, if there is anything else I can help with please just let me know!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes