How do I exclude my own IP address from Shopify stats?

Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 6

Since my store is new I'm making tons of tests and I'm not receiving a lot of traffic, so my own visits make the stats that Shopify provide useless. I need to exclude/filter my IP from the Shopify stats... how do I do that?

Thanks

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 2

Following as I would also like to know.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Same

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
187 0 25

Hey Rodolfo, Brenda, and Nolan!

Diana here from the Shopify Support Team.

Currently, there is no way to exclude your own IP address from the Shopify traffic reports; my recommended alternative is to look into Google Analytics

Shopify actually has step-by-step instructions on how to set up and integrate Google Analytics with Shopify, and once you've gotten started using Google Analytics, you can follow their steps on excluding internal traffic, which not only shows you how to exclude individual IP addresses, but subnets of IP addresses as well (if necessary, of course). It's a super-useful and informative tool to have available anyway, so it's worth checking out!

I hope this helps! :)

Diana | Shopify Guru ~ Contact Shopify 24/7 at support.shopify.com!
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 11

There are a few simple things Shopify could correct easily and this is one of them.  Google has almost everything we do in a monopolized stranglehold and I don't want to use them any more than necessary, so stop hawking their services and fix your own, Shopify!  :)

11 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 7

I agree 100%.  Blocking IPs should be standard.  I can block them everywhere else.

I gave up on GA years ago.  I have killer analytics with video recording and heat maps, but no way to use them on Shopify.

This is a ridiculous exclusion.

7 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

It would be quite simple to have the backend place a cookie on admin devices to exclude their traffic and then check at each login to see if the cookie has been deleted or not and replace it if it was. Then program the Shopify analytics to ignore any traffic that has the cookie. You can currently do this with Google Analytics if you use GTM (Google Tag Manager), so I know it is possible.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Apparently in 2017 there is no option to exclude / filter our IP from Shopify and Facebook Business Manager.

So the best option to keep clean stats and make efficient ads targeting is to test shop pages on a private broswing, isn't? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 7

I agree with the other commentors on this. Shopify is much too quick and eager to send customers to other apps and interfaces, rather than creating/fixing their own. If other platforms can easily do this IP exclusion trick, why not just implement it? Surely Shopify has the coding power of any other outlet, no?

As for ridiculous things that Shopify doesn't offer or care about, but instead says, "install a third-party app to handle that" -- how about the ability to respond/reply to blog comments as an admin? I've actually been told to move my blog off-site. Now, I don't need an MBA to know that on-site blogs drive traffic. And doesn't Shopify make money if I have more traffic and more sales? So why not, if you're going to offer something, offer it fully and properly? 

Sometimes Shopify feels like a car dealership where they send you to an after-market distributor for the door handles, radio knobs, gas pedal, etc. 

So as not to be entirely negative, would also add that the Shopify c/s people -- gurus, etc. -- are unfailingly pleasant and good-natured. They can't usually help me -- they tend to say, "hire an expert" or "install an app," but they certainly do try. That counts for a lot these days. Still, I think there should be a bit of an attitude shift from "go find that somewhere else" to "why not be the best we can be, right here within our own platform?"

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Has there been any update with this over the last 6 months? 

2 Likes