How do I locate my Merchant ID (MID) ?

Hey All!

I am also having the same issue locating my merchant ID. I need this for the AP-201 Texas Application for Texas Sales and Use Tax Permit.

Can anyone tell me where I can locate this outside of using card receipts? (we just created our card payment option). 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Aisle 5ive LLC | Founder & CEO
Philippians 1:21
0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1094 124 170

Hi, @Aisle5ive,

Hank here from Shopify.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are trying to do? 

Is it a case you need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN), or is it purely locating your current one? The Merchant ID and EIN are the same, they are just called different names by different authorities.

If needing to obtain an EIN, you can reach out to the IRS to obtain one but I also have more information for you here.

Or if you are you needing to update your EIN within your store for tax reasons, do you see a banner within the admin? In order to update tax details, we require federal documentation to support the change. This can be in the form of a Signed and dated W9, SS4, or a CP 575 form. The documentation should include your EIN, address, and legal business name.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this, and I can advise of the most accurate way to obtain this information.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Hey @Hank! Thanks for the reply!

(I see you on different posts on here, you're just the guy I was hoping would reply!)

To further clarify the Merchant ID (MID) number on the Texas Application for Sales Tax Permit and/or Use Tax Permit doesn't appear to be the same as the IRS EIN number as I entered this number above already and judging from the question asked by the form, it states the MID is assigned by processer. Which Shopify is the processor of payments by credit card etc. See screenshot below 

AP-201 Texas Application for Texas Sales and Use Tax Permit

Merchant identification number (MID) assigned by processorMerchant identification number (MID) assigned by processor

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I believe I get this number from you all? 

Thanks Hank!

Dylan

Aisle 5ive LLC | Founder & CEO
Philippians 1:21
0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1094 124 170

Thank you for the additional context, Dylan!

This looks to be the one associated with your payment gateway, and as a result, Shopify may be able to provide this for you which will require access to your account. Please visit The Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Once logged in, search for a topic to try to assist you with this query, and you will see the option to continue to get to the live support teams below these topics.

Advise the team that you require your Merchant ID number, and they will be able to provide this for you, my friend.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes