How do you completely delete all options/variants for a product?

Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this, or hopefully, answers it!

It seems really simple, but I cannot figure out how to get rid of the options/variants on a product.

Is the only way to completely start the product from scratch, again?

For example....

I have a product with a few variants/or options....but then I want to make it a product with no options at all.

I delete each variant one at a time, and options, but finally I am left with no choice but to leave an option. 

I cannot delete the final variant because shopify comes back with the error...

There was 1 error with this:

Option1 the field can't be blank

...and if I try to bulk option / delete the variant, the delete variant text is greyed out.

I know you might think I should just start the product again, but due to the nature of our store/product range (we have been dealing online

for 7 years already) this is an issue that will be very common, so I would like to be able to get this sorted.

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question with a really obvious solution!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey Rene!

I've run into this issue myself with my store and totally understand how frustrating it can be. You're absolutely correct in that when you get down to deleting the very last variant you are given an error that states the option cannot be blank. What worked for me was changing the name of the very last variant to "Default", and then saving the product. This deletes the variant option on the actual product page in your store! Give it a try :)

Hope this was able to help :)

Michelle

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks very much Michelle. I really appreciate you making the effort to type out the solution! I will try this and it should save me a lot of stress.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 0 5

What a simple and easy solution! Thanks for this I've been going round in circles and it's been driving me crazy!

0 Likes
5 0 0

Hi team, newbie here and still can't figure out how to delete the variant using this process.

If I change the name to Default as a custom name in the edit options it still stops me from being able to delete the variant.

How do I make this solution work?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello,

I´m having the same problem and the solution given earlier its not working. I have always the variant but now it´s called Default.

How can we delete all the variants and options from a product without doing the product again from scratch.?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
2 0 0

Totally worked for me!

For all of you for whom it may not be working - remember to change the name of the VARIANT to DEFAULT --- not the title of the product. Click on your product, scroll down, and click Edit in the variant section. Type in the word Default as the title. That should work!

www.alexandrahlove.com

0 Likes
2 0 0

Yes thank you!!! Works!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Doesn't work for me :( 
This is how it looks like from the back end. 

and on the front end:

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 3

Change the variant title to "Title". Then change the style/title to "Default Title". These are how those two options show up in a brand new listing. This will eliminate the drop down menu. I promise. 

2 Likes