How do you process your returns?

Tourist
7 0 2

I'm getting close to launching my business but was wondering how everyone else processes their returns? I know Shopify allow you to send a return label to customers, but what if I want the customers to be pay for that instead? Does anyone else have a method of doing this? If so, please comment!

Also, I've been debating if emailing a customer a return form to fill out and insert in the package is better than having them send the product back with nothing to reference other than their name/address on the package? 

0 Likes

Hi

Yes by default Shopify allow you to generate shipping label for return. And you always have option to charge the shipping cost from the customer when refunding the amount to customer. So when we are handling the refund case then we can send auto generated return label to customer.
Shopify have these default feature in it.
If still in doubt. Please see this video. It will help you more.
https://youtu.be/q4wfm3pmpNY

Please let me know if it clears all your doubt.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

I understand how to print the shipping labels out of my account, but I want to know what other sellers do when they want their customers to pay for shipping themselves, in addition to emailing them a form to fill out and send back with their items they want to return. Is it good/bad practice doing that?

0 Likes

Hi

For sure it's not a good practice. It can be frustrating for customer. First they are paying for the shipping cost of return and then we are asking them to fill a form too. So you can think about these concern from customer point of view.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
320 30 51

Hi, @Liz19!

This is May from Shopify.

That is a great question! I am a serial online shopper myself so I know a thing or two about online returns, and I would love to share my experience to help you out!

There are definitely a few different ways to handle refunds and returns. Many different companies have different approach, and there are no right or wrong way as long as you communicate the process to your customers! If you plan on charging a return shipping fee, you'll need to make sure that you mention this on your store policies page. You want as much transparency as possible with your customers!

From my experience, when I receive an online order, I usually get a return form which I will need to send back, as well as a return shipping label inside the box. As mentioned by @ankur-verma above, you can print return labels in your admin for US domestic orders or use an app like Return Magic* for orders outside of the US. If the store didn't send a return form and label in the package, they usually have a system on their website where I can request for a return label. On the website, I would need to fill out an online form in order to submit the request. We have a variety of return apps that can help you achieve this. If you are interested, you can check them out here*.

When it comes to fees and refunds, I find that many online retailers do charge a small flat fee, whether it be for shipping or handling. I personally think charging a return shipping fee is acceptable as long as the fee is priced reasonably. They usually charge this fee by deducting it from my refund amount, instead of sending an additional invoice. So, this might be something you can look into! 

Let me know what you think! If you have other questions, feel free to reply back to this thread.

*Please keep in mind that if you choose to download an app, usually there will be an additional subscription cost since you’ll be using their service. For future reference, in case you run into any technical issues with the app, you can reach out to the developers directly.

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes