How does shopify know my contact and credit card information if I dont use any shopify products?

Highlighted
2 0 0

I had an interesting experience today when I tried to purchase some products on a website I hadnt purchased from before. As I went to the check out, I started typing my email address, this window popped up from shopify and asked if I wanted everything to be populated. I checked yes and I was shocked that all my contact and credit card information was populated.

I never store my credit information on any website so how can this be possible?

How can I remove my information from Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
231 0 15

Hi, John!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for reaching out today.

The feature you're referring to here is known as Shopify Pay. This is a feature meant to accelerate the checkout process for customers. Once opted in, the credit card, shipping and billing information is stored securely and can be used across different shops to quickly move through the checkout. If you wish to opt out of this, you can scroll to the bottom of this page here to submit a request to have your information deleted.

If you run into any troubles with this change, let me know! 

Anders | Social Support Team | support@shopify.com
0 Likes
2 0 0

Thank you very much for the fast response. Ill check on the link and see what I can do to remove the info. I just found it strange as I make it a point to NEVER store my information or to check the "remember me" fields on any website so this kind of freaked me out.

Kind of like big brother was looking over my shoulders!

0 Likes