How is sitemap.xml generated?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

Hey there,

A bit confused about sitemap.xml .  Google search is listing completely wrong information and dead links. I've submitted a sitemap to google and waiting for updates, but when I looked into the generated file, it is including all the collections from the site including outdated and hidden ones. How can I make the sitemap reflect my navigation menu?

0 Likes

What do you mean by outdated and hidden? Just because a collection is not accessible on the front-end, doesn't mean Shopify knows to exclude it from the sitemap.

If you have a collection you don't want showing in SERPs, either delete it from Shopify or set a metafield value of 1 for the namespace seo. Search "metafield" in my Shopify SEO guide for more information. Using that method with metafields, you will exclude a published collection from the sitemap.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 3

Hi and thanks for the reply. So I went through and deleted all old Collections and gave things a general clean out, but no matter what I do I can't seem to affect the SERP. It just continues to show the same dead links from years ago. What else can be done?

0 Likes