How much to charge?

Solved
3 0 0

Hi all,

I am a full stack developer and someone would like to hire me to build their store for them. I don't have any Shopify experience yet but have been learning a lot over the past few weeks. I have seen estimates that a basic store setup is around $600 but this seems low to me. What does this include? 

I need to provide a quote to the client. There are 300 products, each with one picture. But I have seen that I can bulk upload these by preparing them in a cvs file. How do I price myself? I will of course not include my learning of the platform in the cost but do people generally price per product, or what are the components of the price?  Thanks a lot 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
371 70 123

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support. Welcome to Shopify!

This is an awesome question. If you're open to the idea of freelancing, I encourage you to check out Shopify Partners. A great thing about the Partnership program is that it offers you the tools and resources for you to test out your ideas. Another fantastic feature is that once you have a clientele base and meet the requirements, you become one of the Shopify Experts. To learn more about the Partnership program, here's a great document going through the program in detail.

If you're familiar with Shopify admin, you'll notice that a basic store setup can be done without too much coding knowledge. This explains the starting rate of $600. That being said, because your background is a full stack developer, you can charge more. The key here is to check out the fellow experts' portfolios and their backgrounds. Try to match your background or perhaps through their portfolios with the rate that seems fair for you. Don't hesitate to do a little bit more research outside of Shopify as well, as there're many talented people freelancing outside of the Partnership program.

The quoted price often consists of the experience and the ability to resolve the issues during the setup process. It also involves the time required for you to complete the task, as there are freelancers charge by hours.

A tip on the CSV file is that it requires the user to adhere with the template completely. To give you a head start, feel free to use the sample template I've attached via the post (below the signature: "product_template.csv"). When you're uploading the file for the first time, try with a single product first. Once it goes through perfectly, you can upload the rest in sections. Here's a great resource breaking down the CSV file for you.

Last but not least, keep in mind that Shopify has great help documents and 24/7 support. Feel free to reach out at any time. We're always here to help.

I hope this information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes