How to Best Organize/Manage Photos and Files

RH_TB
Tourist
7 0 20

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for assistance. My company is in the process of transferring our store from another platform to Shopify. So far I am very impressed but having difficulty believing there is really no way to organize photos/files. My company has thousands of product photos and hundreds of "general" photos used on various other pages throughout the site. In the past, I have been able to upload files and store them in different folders making them easy to find. When I upload the photos to Shopify, I am not seeing any way to organize them or find what I need. If I end up uploading my thousands of photos I would spend hours trying to locate the correct photos.

How do all of you organize your photos/files? Is there a good app that will help with this?

Replies 49 (49)

Karlie
Shopify Staff
669 54 133

Hey, there! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! Currently, there isn't a way to manage your image files from your Shopify Admin by sorting or organizing - but I can definitely see how this type of functionality would be beneficial for Shopify merchants. I would be happy to pass this feedback along to the appropriate team here for you so that we can help improve the Shopify platform for future merchants. 

Although there isn't an organizing system for image files already in place within Shopify, I would be happy to share some ideas that could potentially be work-arounds for the functionality you're looking to achieve. Because you had mentioned the use of an app in your post, I thought I would mention the app, Image Manager. Image Manager wasn't created purely for organizing images, but you do have the ability to sort and filter through your images by using Image Manager.  With Image Manager, you can also bulk upload images, drag and drop images to product and variants as well as filter products. 

Another option would be to export your products to CSV files. Exporting your products via CSV file would allow you to view all of your product information, including image file URLs in a spreadsheet format - which you could use to manually sort that information. If you're interested in this method, you can check out how to upload files to your website by using our handy doc and then you can review how to use CSV files, here!

I understand that this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I hope this helps provide some sort of work-around for you. If you have any further questions - be sure to ask and I would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Karlie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

DebVT
Shopify Partner
6 0 12

I agree this is a big issue if you have a large number of products and pages.  Can you delete a file once you have used it and no longer need it in the library, or does that remove its visibility on the web page?

Nancy12
Visitor
2 0 22

This post is almost a year old, and I still don't see a way to organize images.  Can you update on where this enhancement is in the product development life cycle?

DebVT
Shopify Partner
6 0 12

The only workaround I have found is to use Settings>Files which stores all of the images.  You can then search by name for a specific file.  This works fine if your images are named well but that's not always the case especially if they are sourced from vendors.  It also supplies the URL if you want to upload via URL.  Hope that helps.

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

How do you search for the name of a file?  The only filter is see is for file size.  And clicking on File sorts them from Z to A, and a second click breaks them into small groups and only shows about half of them.

DebVT
Shopify Partner
6 0 12

I enter the name of the file in the filter field.  Still a terrible system but this does seem to work if your files are well named.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 1.20.22 PM.png

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

Hey, that does work.  And I can even use a couple of parts of the file name to search. 

I've been including photo dimensions in the file name, so that'll help a lot.

Thanks!

Bob

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

@DebVT 

That's an ''if....'' but file naming convention and mgmt across a team is difficult. The additional admin for an SME brand is awful because Shopify (happy to take above market sub fees) is too mean to give any any standard file mgmt functionality.....

Ryan_Johnson
Tourist
6 0 17

Hoping to keep this thread alive, as Shopify has still not addressed the need for a file/photo management section. I've got tons of images that I need to organize on my site, and also see what's not being used, so we can purge the data not needed. 

Please, Shopify, give us a media manager. It's a no-brainer as a feature!

Ryan Johnson

NewRuleFX.com

jarcustomsllc
Tourist
4 0 6

I would also like to make sure this happens, I'm surprised this isn't already a feature.... with  all the organizational tools for products how was this overlooked???

CharmingOrange
Tourist
5 0 15

It's been two years - does Shopify not have an answer for this? How do we keep images organized? Or what is an app or outside place to store images in an organized manner? This is incredibly frustrating!!!

Arlcrane
Visitor
1 0 4

Yes, this is a real head scratcher why there can't be an acceptable image management system.  Mind boggling, actually.  

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

Yes another very significant shortcoming of Shopify.

As someone here said its a head scratching/mind boggling weakness which any merchant with a high number of SKUs and/or images ie ALL merchants in 2020 that want to have a visually strong eshop!!

Usually its a cynical way of getting the Shopify merchant to increase his ecommerce overhead needlessly and install yet another paid-for app but check them out here they are left asking on that level too https://apps.shopify.com/collections/image-editing

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

I have a slightly different question about how to use the images in Settings/Files.

Since the images in Settings/Files are used in multiple places in what I think is called the Theme Editor (Customizer?), the dimensions recommended for the various places I might use them are quite different.  I might also want to use a particular image in BOTH a banner and a gallery.  Or change a banner image (rec. size of 1600x1000 in my theme) to a gallery position (rec size of something like 1024x768), and vice versa for the gallery image.

However, when I bring up the Image Library, there doesn't seem to be any way to differentiate between different versions of the same photo.  There are no file names visible, let alone dimensions - and the photos are cropped in a way that doesn't allow differentiation between any of them.

Right now I'm testing to see how it works with all 1600x1000 images, regardless of where they go.  It just doesn't seem likely to give me the best result, though.

As I'm fine-tuning the site, I'd like to be able to have a comprehensive pool of images to choose from - for all the various parts of the site I might need them.  It's looking like I might have to process the images one by one as I determine what image I need for which banner or gallery.

Has anyone run into this?  Or figured out a way to deal with it?  Thanks.     

linia
Excursionist
14 0 12

Karlie - is there a feature request or any other way we (the users) can help push this enhancement forward?  I'm also really interested in this feature and it looks like there is lots of interest.  I'm in the process of exploring migrating from another platform and cannot imagine that I cannot organize my brand photos vs. my individual product photos, freebies and general images in a coherent way.

Let us know if there is a feature request we can all go upvote somewhere! I'm new to the platform so don't know the best way to make my voice heard.

Thanks so much!

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

Crazy to think we are all out here struggling with a core functional shortcoming - image management - while Shopify makes continuous UX tweaks to the backend and focuses on adding other functions that leave us merchants underwhelmed.

Meanwhile others here try helping and suggest ridiculous DIY workarounds that would make you think we are in the 2010 PC (pre-SaaS) computing era.

LazyCoder
Shopify Partner
12 0 7

I am building a simple file manager that supports directories, maintaining file names and searchability. If you're interested, you can sign up here - https://simplefilemanager.torcellite.com/

CelticSourdough
Tourist
4 0 0

Dude, even at $5/month, you'll make a killing on this app! Like, retirement type money.

RH_TB
Tourist
7 0 20

Awesome, thank you for this information. I appreciate you taking the time to address my question. I do think passing this on to the appropriate team would be a great idea because I can't imagine I am the only one with this frustration.

Thanks again!

BCPablo
Visitor
2 0 10

I just want to add that this is an important issue for me as well. I'm investigating the possibility of using Shopify, and this could be a problem. Aside from having over 2000 products, we have hundreds of additional photos and PDFs that we use throughout our site. Not having an efficient way to organize them will be a big problem. I'll investigate the idea of using an app for it, but it really should be part of Shopify's basic functionality.

cmyers1979
Visitor
1 0 4

BCPablo
Visitor
2 0 10

Thanks for the info. We haven't made the switch as of yet. Your figure of around $40,000 sounds close to the estimates I've heard so far to move our site over. Thankfully, we don't have a pressing reason to move at the moment, so we have plenty of time to consider our options. Since I'm the one that deals with product page setup and image management at my company, it's important for me to actually be able to manage those images efficiently. 

ederecat
Visitor
1 0 4

I am perplexed by this.  Not being able to organize and delete images that were uploaded in the variant image window makes zero sense.  I just started this today and have spent hours uploading only to find this feature lacking.  Deal breaker for me.  Too bad, this is a great system other than the image management.  

packagesplan
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

Wow, you have a lot of packages!  Looks like it could be a little tricky.  Interesting stuff, though!

Bob

Hard_Bar
Shopify Partner
1 0 5

Completely agree.

The fact that product imagery management would be such a time intensive option operation is the reason my clients with larger inventories won't switch over. They're not big enough stores to afford Shopify plus which may offer more functionality but still at $299 a month for the advanced package it's a shame there is not a more intuitive option.

Look forward to hearing if anything changes.

Phil Reynolds Hard Bar hard.bar Chamonix | London | Lyngen

Propelguru
Trailblazer
313 7 44

Use Folders and Subfolders

When you are categorizing images and files, but the more folders you have separating out unique events, trips, and projects, the more quickly you’ll be able to find a particular one that comes to mind.

Use Favorites and starred

Use Favorites or starred only for the very most significant or often-needed photos and files in your collection. Use Favorites to set aside images for specific projects and empty them out after each project is completed.

Cloud Storage Options

Cloud storage is very convenient you need to sign up, sync, possibly pay a certain amount, and then you don’t really worry about data again. It’s accessible from anywhere with an internet connection and you can share photos easily with a quick link and create a backup.

CharmingOrange
Tourist
5 0 15

Shopify doesn't have a folder or subfolder option within the platform.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM

Please don't suggest something that isn't possible because OF THE ACTUAL PROBLEM.

Also please don't suggest generic "cloud storage". Not all cloud storage works with Shopify because you have to have a static address and many storage options are not compatible.

This is a Shopify platform issue. They need the option for internal organization and filtering through tags and store categories. It does not exist.

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

Hey @Propelguru 

What he/she said.

Thanks @CharmingOrange couldnt have put it better myself 😉

Siamesekrazy
Excursionist
12 0 5

An internal naming convention might help, using "header", "productimage" or other terms at the beginning to keep like images and files stored together and easier to find. Putting the image size at the end of the file name "1000x1000px" is also useful.

CharmingOrange
Tourist
5 0 15

Internal naming isn't effective when all the files are in the same folder/directory. Or maybe it would if you only had a hundred or so photos. But if you have a decent inventory and 4-5 images of each product, that is a complete waste of time. It also messes with your SEO algorithms to have weird names for your product photos.

trishasingh4
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

We're looking for the same solution. Is shopify any closer to proving an image management system?  

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

Yeah, I've spent hours and hours trying to get something workable.  It eventually became clear that I simply wouldn't be able to use the Shopify photo system (under Files) for the bulk of my photos.  Of course, there are a number of places where I HAVE to - but it's incredibly time-consuming to scroll through all the photos - maybe 5 new ones at a time - to find what you're looking for.  And then none of the labeling I've added is visible, just as everyone else has noticed.

I'd go so far as to say that if it wasn't for the Gallery apps, I would've had to give up on Shopify.  These apps only address part of the photo needs, but they're infinitely more usable.

I would suggest that if Shopify can't come up with an improved photo-handling system, they should let the Gallery apps somehow take care of ALL the photos.

jpruellage
Tourist
3 0 5

Didn't Shopify give a sneak peak of an upcoming content management system at Unite in 2021 when they announced Shop 2.0?  Has anyone heard any updates about this?

Every time I'm customizing something on the site and think "I know I used that photo someplace else but where is it?" I either go through a laborious process to find it (and am not even sure it is the right dimensions) or I just upload it again and further clog my content store.  And the fact that in the theme customizer it only shows the most recent content uploaded so you have to keep hitting "Load More" to find something you uploaded a while ago is maddening.

The fact that we haven't seen anything yet makes me think the entire Shopify infrastructure was built without content management in mind and because it touches on some many different parts - products, files, themes, etc. it will not be an easy fix or migration.

Still - I'd love to just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel (as opposed to a train). 

DebVT
Shopify Partner
6 0 12

The best solution I've found is to be very diligent in naming the image files that I upload and then I am easily able to find them using the files search.  But, yes, so little progress for such an important component.  It seems like Shopify is better than this in every other facet.

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

That works when you're looking at the photos in Files, but not when you're adding those photos directly in the editor - at least with my theme.  For instance, some fields will state a 1600x1000 ideal ratio, and some will be much smaller.  But all I can do is scroll through the photos, maybe 5 at a time, until I get to one that looks right.  And if it's not, I have to start scrolling from the start again.  Each photo is totally un-named and unidentified in any way, regardless of how I have them named.

DebVT
Shopify Partner
6 0 12

My theme will let me add the image using the url from the files.  Does yours have that option?  

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

It lets me upload a photo from my pc, but I can't see any way of referring to a URL.  Still, I've ended up with all sorts of duplicates in Settings/Files by adding photos rather than scrolling through all of them.  Then, when I go to Settings/Files to delete duplicates, I can't tell which ones are actually being used. 

I could go back and forth between Settings/Files (where I can see what I have) and (what I think is called) the site editor, but that's just not practical with a lot of photos. 

Think of it in terms of my present situation - my theme has received a major upgrade, where there's a "new OS 2.0 editor".  It's apparently major enough that I have to rebuild the entire content.  Knowing the incredible time suck I experienced setting up my site initially - especially messing around with the photos - I'm not sure I'm ever going to do it.  (besides, I can't tell at all whether OS 2.0 would be enough to make it worthwhile)

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

Hi @Bob_Meyer which Gallery apps do you recommend?

Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

Carlo, I actually just tried the least expensive couple of apps first.  I ended up with Robin Pro - not only was it the least expensive, but it had all the features I needed.  And the guy that wrote the app seems extremely receptive to changes, and has done a couple at my request. 

It's also still one of the rare 5.0 rated apps I've run across.

I tried a couple others, and they have what seem to be extra features - but they ended up being very minor.

Stacy_Zhuk
Shopify Partner
404 20 58

I suggest you should take a look at this article https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shopify-admin/productivity-tools/file-uploads 

You can name the image using some system (with the name of the page for which it is loaded or the product)

Stacy_Zhuk_0-1642760545894.png

Co-founder at Whidegroup, e-commerce development company from Ukraine
- 10+ years of experience with SMBs
- Deep expertise in custom development & optimization
E-mail: anastasia@whidegroup.com
Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6

Hi Stacy,

Right, within the Settings/Files section, you can do all sort of organization of the photos. You can see the file name, file size, file type, etc., etc., and filter them, sort them - yes, you can do all sorts of things there.

I have to ask, though, whether you've had occasion to go further, into Themes/Customize, to actually add those photos to your page.  The format of those photos there is NOTHING like was you see in Files.  You get to see 19 photos at a time, and have to "load more" to see another 19, ad infinitum.  And there is no way to sort, filter, see a filename, file size, or anything else other than the thumbnail.  Maybe it's just the template I'm using, but I don't think so (it's a paid template, and not a cheap one).

I think this applies to your post as well, Stan.  You can have the finest DAM software around, and I don't see how it would change how the photos are actually put into your site - you still have to deal with the incredibly severe limitation of how to actually place the photo on the page.

Also, any way you sort or customize filenames or anything else in Files, NONE of that translates into what you see in Themes/Customize.  None.  Well, if you delete items from Files, you won't see it any more in Customize, but that's not a lot of help, is it? 

Stacy_Zhuk
Shopify Partner
404 20 58

Hello @Bob_Meyer,

Yes, Shopify has some limitations in sorting images and selecting them from the entire list on a particular page. But they remain sorted in the same order as in the Files section of yourshopifystore.com//admin/settings/files when you try to add an image to the page.
You can somehow adjust it to suit the needs - sort by date or by name, and then edit a specific page and choose an image.

Co-founder at Whidegroup, e-commerce development company from Ukraine
- 10+ years of experience with SMBs
- Deep expertise in custom development & optimization
E-mail: anastasia@whidegroup.com
Bob_Meyer
Excursionist
13 0 6
Hi Stacy,

Well, I tried that before I wrote it.  I re-organized my photos in
Files, went the the website editor after refreshing the screen and all
that, and there was absolutely no effect on the order of the photos
available to use.

Bob

StanJewellery
4 0 0

guys, all of you just need a normal digital asset management cloud software that is integrated with Shopify. here's a list of just a few https://www.capterra.com/digital-asset-management-software/ 

Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

Thanks but you are stating the very obvious @StanJewellery ......... maybe you didnt bother reading the posts by @Bob_Meyer and @CharmingOrange ? Cloud file mgmt software - and good file mgmt habits (as per others suggestions) - can only part-solve this issue for most of us time-poor merchants.

StanJewellery
4 0 0
why only part-solve?
Carlo_Hive365
Shopify Partner
69 2 42

OK its confirmed, you didnt bother to read the thread in this discussion 🙄

rocket77
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm new to Shopify and am getting along just fine. I just now discovered that there is no way to add folders to be able to organize my files and content. SERIOUSLY, Shopify? I would by a 3rd party app if there is one.