How to Retain Customizations When Updating Theme?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Hello+

I am new to Shopify. I'm curious about how to keep Theme Customizations when the Theme is updated? In WordPress if the Theme is customized via the Theme Options, then when the Theme is updated you do not lose any of those customizaqtions. If the theme is updated via the actual Theme Code, then you create a Child Theme > copy the code files (that you are editing) over to that > make code changes there...and when you update the Theme you do not lose those changes, nor do you have to re-add the changes to the code. In Shopify if you use Customize Theme to make changes - are those lost with each Theme update (and then you have to re-do all of those Customizations for each update)? Also, if you edit the code then how do you not lose that when things are updated?

I have asked these questions of the Theme Author (for the theme I am using) and they said, "If you have done any custom, please: Backup all your files you have done custom; After backup file, you can import the updated demo version like normal and replace by the backup files; or See the changelog to know which files were fixed or updated, then, only update those files." - this seems like a lot of work to have to re-add the customizations each time the theme is updated... Is there a process for Shopify Themes that is similar to the WP Child Theme procedure to ensure we do not have to make the same customizations each and every time we update the theme? If so, I am not able to *find* information about that.

Any advice and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
112 10 26

Hey there, you can visit a theme updater app here. There's also another one available. If you have a great deal of customizations to your theme, you will need to manually copy the custom code over to the updated theme. There is currently no way around this with shopify like there is on wordpress. If you have lots of customizations, it will take some time to go over the code and copy it, making sure you're not overwriting any updated files, or worse, losing files. Kind of a pain. It may be easier to update the theme yourself, the way you want it haha. Any upgrades i do, will be custom code anyways. That's the game you play when you want a custom website with shopify, at least for now. Best of luck! 

I am a multi-disciplined web developer with years of experience working with several languages and frameworks.
3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

@cmartinez89, Thank you very much for the clarifications and App suggestion!

1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
112 10 26

You're very welcome! :) Take care and let me know if you get stuck. ✌️

I am a multi-disciplined web developer with years of experience working with several languages and frameworks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
25 0 1

Hi @cmartinez89,

I am also looking to update my theme from Out of the Sandbox (Parallax). Do you know if the app (paid version) shows all the customisations done or will there be some that I will need to look out for?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

@cmartinez89 wrote:

Hey there, you can visit a theme updater app here....

This is not a solution if your theme is not from Pixel Union or Out Of The Sandbox. All other themes are unsupported and will not work. 

0 Likes