How to add a free item to checkout, and allow customers to edit quantity

2 0 2

Hi there!

I sell nail stickers and with every order, I send free nail file/cuticle stick in a little baggie, and an instructional card for how to apply them. I want to add two features in the checkout process:

• allow customers to opt out of receiving this
  • allow customers to specify quantity in case they want to give some as gifts. For example, now if they order 2 nails, I normally send 1 bag with 2 cuticle sticks and 2 nail files, and an instructional card. I want them to be able to order and specify they want it delivered in 2 baggies, each baggie with one nail file cuticle stick, and instructional card so they can gift it easily. 

Is there a way to do this? Ideally it will auto-populate during checkout and they can either remove it from the cart or add quantity or a note. 

Thanks!!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
1104 88 246

If you're on Shopify Plus you might be able to do this. If not, you'll have to do it within the theme code, either in the product or cart pages.

I'd recommend the free gift as an opt-in, rather than an opt-out. Then put a check box (and quantity selector if you want) on the product page where they can add that item to cart. From the development side, you can use the Shopify ajax API to programmatically add the free item to the cart.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes