How to add product options with different cost as add ons

Stacy_Beardslee
8 0 0

I am trying to add options (upsell items or choices) to some products in my store and am having trouble figuring out the best way.  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!  

I have a product and I want the customer to see options and pricing for things they can add to the product from the product page, not the cart page.

If the customer is looking at a shirt they would see that the shirt is $10 and to add an applique would be an additional $5.

My site is calliebaby.com

Some examples of what I would like the product page to look like are here:

http://www.smockedauctions.com/girls/dresses/red-velvet-sally-dress.html

http://www.borntobesassy.com/boutique-girl-s-clothing/monogrammed-girls-dresses/applique-gingerbread...

Thanks again and I look forward to any ideas or suggestions :-) 

Stacy

0 Likes
Genevieve_Shan1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
130 0 24

Hey there Stacy!

Genevieve from Shopify here :) 

An easy way to accomplish this would be to include the additional dollar amount for specific options in the option value itself. So, for instance, laying out your personalization option values as 'None', 'Initials (+ $5)' and 'Full Name (+ $10)'. You can then set the price of the relevant product variants to reflect these costs, so that as these options are selected the price displayed on the product page updates accordingly. 

We have some guidance on setting up product variants in this section of our manual:
https://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/products/variants

Additionally, the following apps might be useful to try out (they each have free trial periods):

Hope that helps! 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Ayad_Maher
Shopify Partner
55 0 4

This is a good question, but Genevieve, I didn't quiet understand your explination. I will go through the guide, but it would be reat if you can clarify.

Thanks,

Ayad

www.421store.com

0 Likes
Ant4
Excursionist
39 0 12

It would be great for Shopify to allow an opton to increase or decrease the price by a certain amount (similar to how Prestshop do). 

None, (set price)

Initials, (increase £5)

Full Name, (increase £10). 

Genevieve_Shan1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
130 0 24

Hey there !

A visual might help : ) This is how you might set up the product options on the store admin side so as to reflect the extra costs for personalisation. The price can be adjusted for each variant independently of the parent product price, so in this way you can set an option to increase or decrease the price by a cetain amount.

On the storefront, then, the price updates automatically to reflect the option the customer chooses: 

Hope that clears things up! Let me know if you have any further questions : ) 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Ant4
Excursionist
39 0 12

Hi Genevieve, 

I understand how this works, however you are still inputting your prices manually. 

For example, I sell CCTV and allow different options for HDD, Cable Lengths and additional extras. 

Working out each and every option is a nightmare. I setup an excel sheet to workout the prices for me, so I could just copy them across. However, it would be much easier to say have.

CCTV - No HDD (£260).  

CCTV - 1TB HDD (increment cost +£60). 

Yes, this may seem silly as you would just type £320. 

But once you then start adding cable lengths that could be £5, £7, £8, £15, £21, etc etc it would be easier to just out (incrememt cost + £21). 

So in theory, you set a base cost. Then increase or decrease accordingly. 

It would also be helpful to offer more than 3 variations at times (as standard, instead of paying for an app). 

Genevieve_Shan1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
130 0 24

Hey there Ant!

I see what you mean - I would be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality could be added in the future :) I'll reach out to you directly by email to get your store added to the request. If anyone else would find this feature useful for their store, please let me know and I'll add your store too. 

In the meantime, these apps could reduce the effort required for editing the prices of variants in bulk: 

Hope that helps! 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Ayad_Maher
Shopify Partner
55 0 4

Genevieve, please also add my store to this request. It would be great to have such feature.

Thanks,

Ayad

0 Likes
Stacy_Beardslee
8 0 0

That works!  Thank you!!!!!!

0 Likes
Stacy_Beardslee
8 0 0

One last question... Is there a way to put a comment field for the customer to input their initials?

0 Likes