How to add short description on product listing page?

2 0 0

Hi, I saw some themes are doing this, how can I manually add a "shortened" product description on product listing page? Shortened will mean perhaps limited to 3 rows and then replace the extra with "...." Appreciate your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 6

Hey Paddy!

To shorten the description you would be able to use `{{ product.description | truncate: 300 }}` that will break it down by character count and hide the rest :)

There's also a guide on creating product tabs if you wanted to switch out content completely: http://docs.shopify.com/support/your-store/products/how-do-i-add-tabs-to-product-descriptions

Hope that helps!

Ashley | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

This is an old post but wanted to share this in case others came across with the same question. I was looking for a way to post a short description below the price and above the add to cart button. I wanted something I could easily edit and populate that area. I used the method provided above and that works but I wanted something that would be different than the first paragraph and I didn't care for the ... ending. 

To accomplish this, I use the Meta Description area in the SEO section on the Product setup page. This way it can be easily modified, displayed, etc. 

Each theme may be different and depending on the template layout used for the product page, just add the 

<< {% if page_description %}
{{ page_description }}
{% endif %} >>

snippet in the product template .liquid code. (Minus the <<  >>) You'll need to play around to get the position right. Hope this helps someone. Easy display. Easy edit. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 15

Nice idea @BoPrice.

Here is what I had to do to get it working on list pages:

{% if product.metafields.global.description_tag %}
  {{ product.metafields.global.description_tag }}
{% else %}
  {{ product.description }}
{% endif %}
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0
will this work for having the Product Type listed under the Product name but above price? Do have a snapshot of what it looks like on the collection page?
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Stepping in since I'had the same doubt.... and just to confirm I understand your hack (seems it to be since Shopify doesn't offer a short description field):

you're suggesting to use the SEO description as short description field and then showing a way to edit the current template to print it out along with full desc?

0 Likes