How to add text and link to every product description

Marc_Fleury
1 0 1

I want every product description to include a link to a specific page on my site (a color guide page), but I can't find where to do this for every product. Does it need to be done individually?

Cynthia_D_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
100 0 19

Hey there Marc!

Cynthia here, a Guru with Shopify :).

While there's many other fields and areas that can be bulk edited - at the moment, there isn't a built-in way to bulk edit product descriptions.

The only method to edit those in bulk would be to export all of your products into a CSV file.

From there, you can change the description of each product in the third column, entitled Body (HTML).

After you've finished inputting/editing your descriptions, you can re-upload that CSV file and overwrite your current products, which will result in the descriptions being changed.

Hope this is helpful! Give me a shout if you need anything else :).

Cynn | Guru @ Shopify

0 Likes
yogodoshi
Shopify Partner
6 0 4

Hi Cynthia, could that be done with an app? I wanted to create an app that would do something similar: change the way a product info would be displayed all over the theme.

0 Likes
Kraken42
Explorer
259 0 23

I'd create a liquid snippet and include it in the product template. Much easier in the long run as you only have one file to change.

0 Likes
yogodoshi
Shopify Partner
6 0 4

Adrian, can I do that with an app? How would that work? Cause if I just added something to the template, that info would be duplicated...

0 Likes
Kraken42
Explorer
259 0 23

I was replying to the original question which was the same information all the time.

I'd still do it via liquid though regardless. On my latest store that is in development every description of every product is generated via three liquid snippets. Makes maintenance so much easier.

It's all down to what sort of information you need to generate and how formulaic it can be.

At the end of the day I put more effort into pictures, pricing and size information than I do into actual descriptions as one thing seven years trading online has taught me is that 90% of people never read the descriptions in the first place.

0 Likes
RhubarbandLemon
1 0 0

Hey! If I was to export the CSV and change the description slightly and then upload the updated version (which in the process would overwrite the older versions I assume?) would the updated products keep any images attached to the original version or would they all be wiped?? 

Hope that makes sense!

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
316 13 46

Hi @RhubarbandLemon 

The best way would be to run a csv export first and then just make changes and import the same csv file back so you have all the necessary handles.

If you select Replace any current products that have the same handle checkbox during import it will override any data that is on Shopify. The product data remains unchanged for columns that aren't present in the CSV file. For example, suppose that there's a CSV file that lists a red-socks product handle and that product handle already exists in your Shopify store. The CSV file includes all the fields for the product, but is missing the Price column. After you upload this CSV file to your store, all values for red-socks will be replaced by the values in the CSV file, but the Price field will remain unchanged.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/import-products#importing-products-with-a-...

Regards

Tom

Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
0 Likes