How to bulk upload images?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 1

Agreed.

Currently i am developing a Mac App to look at folder of images and upload them to the correct product/variant.

It would be based on naming the image with the sku eg "barcode1.jpg". It would then find the right product and upload the image.

I can keep you posted.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

Thanks, but I need to launch my site ASAP, so I have done what is currently the only option - paid someone to sit and go to each product page and upload the image to the page.... 5,000 times. What a joke.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Apparantly Excelify allows bulk upload of images from a computer file, but at $200 a month i dont fancy paying that, even though i have over 130,000 product images that need uploading. Luckily i can sit and upload them gradually but currently looking for a faster solution....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 1

Hi Jason

5000 !! Good Luck with that.

I have a beta of my app for the Mac that matches SKUs on Shopify with SKU in a file name.

We photograph the products and name the files by using a cheap barcode scanner and output them to a square size.

The same SKU is used for a variant on the Shopify. it is also what we use to track products in our bricks & mortar shop.

The application then matches and then uploads the image to the correct variant and product in Shopify.

At the moment it is only working for our store, as I need to add in preferences to enter different shop credentials.

I also need to check the logistics and legal with Shopify, as it is not a web app in the Shopify ecosystem but an application downloaded and installed locally on your computer.

Ultimately I will sell it as a once off license fee (not monthly), however I would be willing to let some beta testers trial it.

I am continually working on the UI and improvements.

As we have a lot of SKUs, it has been a life saver. We have uploaded over 500 images to our store in the last 2 days and beats mucking about with spreadsheets.

cheers

John

Screen Shot.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi John,

I was wondering if your app could be used for a butcher shop where each piece of meat will be its own product SKU or variant?

The idea would be to allow you to see the photo of the actual package of the item that you are buying, just like when you look at it in the store refrigerator.

This way you get the actual item you select "t-bone-unique-SKU", and not a generic "t-bone". To do this, each item will be sold only once, and new items created continuously.

Do I understand correctly that I could:

- Weigh the item, and print a unique barcode that contains the info ("t-bone-0.343-kilos")

- Take a picture of the item

- Name the picture by taking a picture of the bar code

- Create the SKU (or variant) in the store using the same code

- Automatically upload the pictures to the correct SKU?

Thanks,

Erik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 1

Technically you are almost correct.

You dont take a photo of the barcode or sku, you either type it into the filename or for better accuracy use a $20 usb barcode reader and scan the barcode into the file name. The computer just sees the barcode reader as essentially another keyboard.

We are using CaptureOne to control the photographing process. It allows you to control the shutter on a connected camera and you shoot straight into its library. Adobe Lightroom and even Image Capture (on the Mac) allows this. It just reduces dealing with storage cards and having to match up sku with file names.

Once the photos are cropped and ready. and the filename has the SKU in it, My app will upload and match it to a varient already setup in Shopify.

It is really to support products with 100s of variants and manually doing it in Shopify.

Really depends how many pieces of meat your Butcher does each day. You could easily build an iPhone app that you take a photo (on the iPhone), read the sku from the barcode (iPhones can read barcodes) and match and upload all from the phone.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you. 

This saved me days of thinking about it.

(Solution: while volume is low, just upload from Shopify mobile, if volume increases, develop app.)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

thanks for sharing your thoughts. in my case the first option sounds do-able and closer to my requirements. 

@JasonC wrote:

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

You're on the right track. There're two ways you can upload the images files in bulk.

The first method is through the Shopify admin > Settings > Files. Once there, click on Upload files on the top right corner, then you'll be able to upload the image files directly from your device to your admin. You can then use the images while you set up your store/product. For more detailed information, here's a helpful document going through how to upload image files to your store.

The second method is through a CSV file. The key to make sure that the files upload correctly is to follow the CSV format accurately. Here's a great document going over what content is required for each field. I've attached a sample template for you so you can take a look and make sure your Excel file complies with the format. If you wish to use the CSV method, the image files need to be uploaded to a publicly accessible URL first. This can be from the links you received after you use the first method or any cloud services, such as DropBox and Google Drive. Keep in mind the server needs to be at a decent speed. Otherwise, there's a chance you'll get timeout while importing the file resulting in import failure.

If you run into any issues, or if I misunderstood what you're hoping to set up, feel free to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi,

It seems like I am struggling with the same problem as everyone else. How do you get the domain to look like https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/?

I am just starting with my image project and thought to try this second. Google Drive didn't work.

-H 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 1

Normal Dropbox link (the one you create when you ctrl click on a file) does not allow direct downloads so if you put that into your spreadsheet, it will fail.

If you replace  "www.dropbox.com/" with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" it should work.

HOWEVER

Each file has a different ID slug, so if you plan to use this with 100s of images, it becomes a pain to automate off a file name.

0 Likes