How to cancel or remove primary domain name?

Highlighted
1 0 0

hi, i had purchased a domain name, after that, i found a better domain name for my online store.

So, can i remove or cancel the current domain name?

How about the renewal for this domain? does it will continue charge on my account every year?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 64 130

Hey, @Nonnon84 

Managing your domains is quite easy to do! What you can do is switch out the old domain with the new domain by setting the new domain as the "Primary Domain" in your Shopify Admin >Click Online Store> Click Domains. From that page you will click on the text that says "Change Primary Domain" to make the change.

Once you do that, you can ensure auto-renewal is set to off for the old domain so you aren't charged for it later on. This can be done from the Shopify Admin > Online Store > Domains Page. From there you can click "manage" beside the old domain. Which will take you to the page where you can turn off auto-renew.

20-04-hwg95-okv94

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having what seems to be an unusual problem, possibly because I'm a complete novice.

Shopify was unappealing, so I moved on to squarespace, where my site is almost built.

I'm still in the free trial here, and linked my domain to shopify before realizing I didn't want to stay. It's not fully connected, but googling it sends you to shopify, so I did something.  This is all new to me, I'm stumbling through it, lost, and panic is setting in.

Now there's a problem linking my domain host and squarespace because of the shopify connection, and I can't find a way to cancel.

FAQ says wait and it will expire, but my new site is waiting, there's a glitch in shopify holding that up, my business is seasonal, and the season is now.  I've spent hours today just going round and round and back to the same useless FAQ. It's very very frustrating.

I want to cancel the entire association with shopify--  free trial, the link, and everything, and there is not a clear way to do that.

Please help.  I want out.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 1 0

After a short hiatus I am back. Just purchased a new domain. My old domain is still active. Apparently I have it set to auto renew. I can see it under domains but it says 'never expires'. How can I turn this off? Thank you in advance. Diana

0 Likes