How to change VAT country

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I started my shopify setup with cyprus, later decided to operate for beginning with Gerrmany Business and German VAT Number.

If I try to add the VAT Number, shopify still accepts only a VAT number from Cyprus. It does not let me change the country

I changed all addresses of the shop to germany

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 60 90

Hey, @mikelima; Welcome to the Shopify Community!

The VAT number is associated with the store address you have set in ‘Settings > General’, and it can sometimes take up to 24 hours to fully update so that you can enter a VAT associated with a new country. How long ago did you update your store address?

In the meantime, I recommend going to the European Commission website to verify your German VAT number. If it comes back as invalid, please contact your local tax authority to resolve the issue.

However, if it comes back as valid, then it should be accepted by our system. Therefore, I kindly ask that you wait a full 24 hours since last trying to update your VAT in your Shopify admin before entering it again in ‘Settings > Billing’.  Please select the ‘I do not have a VAT number’ option until then. 

If after 24 hours it still is giving you trouble, please let me know, and reply back here with a screenshot of the error message you are receiving, and we will proceed with further troubleshooting. 

Thanks!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Helen,

I have the same issue as the topic starter. I have my shop in the Netherlands, which is also right in the settings for months already. But in the VAT section, I only have the option to choose Spain as a VAT country.

I need to do my taxes in NL. Can you help me to change this?

Ps. I do have a spanish telephone number.

many thanks!
Dennis

Adress.jpgTaxes.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

@Helen : sorry, I forgot to tag you in my reply.

Helen, could you help me with my question about the VAT vs location?

Many thanks

Dennis

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 60 90

No problem, @FairPress. Thanks for returning to tag me so that I was alerted to your post!

Thank you for the screenshots, I think I see what’s going on here: Unlike the VAT number associated with your Billing details, the VAT registration within your Tax settings is directly linked to your Shipping settings. (ie. you will have the option to set up taxes for any country you are shipping your products to).  

Therefore, looking at your screenshots, what appears to be happening, is that you most likely have a shipping zone set up for Spain only, which you would then allow you to enter a VAT number for it. You can read more about this in the Help Doc for EU Taxes.

In order to be able to enter a VAT for the Netherlands, please either create a new shipping zone for the Netherlands, or add it to your zone that includes Spain. This should then give you the option to include in the tax details for it. 

Let me know how it goes, and if there are any other issues along the way. I’m here to make sure this gets resolved for you. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Many thanks @Helen !

That did the job, all solved now. 

Tnx again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 60 90

Wonderful! I'm happy to have been able to help. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

0 Likes