How to complain about a vendor?

Highlighted
3 0 0
But allowing fraudulent behavior/actions makes them just as guilty...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 0

@spomroy 

Seriously... How are they "allowing it?"  they have 100's of 1000's of legit customers who purchase their TOOLS to create 100's of 1000's of legit shops... with millions of customers who buy from them every day without issues   It is not their job to police each shop and every customer's transaction.   You want that... shop one of the popular marketplaces where you still could get defrauded. 

Another example... if YOU buy a hammer from a home improvement shop and you smash in your neighbor's car window... is that the home improvement responsibility on how YOU used the hammer?    Its not right?  Its the same concept.  Shopify sells tools.  They are not a marketplace!!

Let's not forget... with all the cyber fraud going on... one would think... and this may be a stretch here... but... one would think that one would do a little research before buying from a website they never heard of before.  Would it not make common sense to do a simple little search for reviews on the unknown site before you bought from there?  I would think so.   But that's just my opinion.

This thread should be closed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Link throws a 404 error. [EDIT: never mind, just need to delete the extra space]

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1
I disagree - as a consumer and a s a vendor myself, there should be compliance. And if Shopify received numerous complaints about a bogus vendor it’s their duty to investigate and shut it down.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 0

It can not be their responsibility.  They are not investigators or law enforcers... and they do not dictate policies that shop owners have to comply with in regards to how each of us run our own business.  What if you got a lot of complaints which stemmed from an irate customer... who felt you did not live up to their expectations and they filed multiple complaints and as a result, your shop was shut down?   It would not be fair.  Why?  because they are bogus complaints?   Who's to say that.  If you are going to look at it from both the consumer and vendor's side... look at it from both sides.   Would you like your site shut down because someone told you how to run your business? 

Bottom line... again... Shopify is not a marketplace.  They do not dictate how you use their tools.  Their free trial is open to anyone... so virtually anyone can create a shop, be it live or test for the time of the trail... and maybe, just maybe that's what happened to some of these people... where someone created a trail shop... loaded some products etc... and decided they were not going to continue with the shop.  And they did not close it down... and when it expired it was removed... but the day before a consumer bought something from the UNKNOWN shop... and the next they are no longer there.   That is possible and probable.   Granted there are bad people out there who are bogus etc... there are tons of bogus websites out there... but is it not up to each of us, as consumers, to shop responsibly and use common sense?  Shop with a protected payment option... and check reviews when shopping with someone you never heard of before.  If you shopped with protective payments... then it is easy to get your money back... if you checked the unknown shop out prior to ordering... more than likely they would not have placed the order to begin with.  As you see... its all common sense.

Im not saying its all the shopper's fault.  But they are partially to blame along with the fraudulent and some careless trail shop owners.  None of these are shopify's responsibility.  Why?  they are NOT a marketplace like the handmade market places... or the huge retail giant or auction sites that we are all familiar with where sellers sell under their umbrellas... therefor are held compliant to their policies and ways of doing business.   Shopify only sells us the tools to open up a shop... like a landlord of a storefront.  They are not investigators or law enforcement officers to determin what is right or wrong... There are other recourses for consumers with complaints.   

Again... Shopify provides us with the tools to set up a shop... What we do with that shop any online shop is OUR responsibility... be it as the shop owner or the consumer.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Wrong.. It is their responsibility to abide by the law as an online service provider. Something they are in violation of in the US. I have the proof.  Do your research on copyright safe harbor and repeat infringement.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 0

WOW!!  

lol Proof?   Do you know what you are talking about???

What does copyright safe harbor and repeat infringement provisions have to do with someone being defrauded by a bogus or inactive website?   NOTHING!!!

However... I will respond with... The Digital Millennium Copyright Act includes a set of provisions commonly known as the DMCA Safe Harbors. (17 U.S.C. § 512.) These provisions are designed to protect online service providers (OSPs) from liability from copyright claims arising out of conduct by their end-users that copyright holders claim is infringing: when, for example, users submit content to an online service that does not belong to them, this could be an act of copyright infringement. right?

If specific procedures and requirements of the DMCA are satisfied – matters that are frequently challenged in copyright cases – the OSP has no liability for money damages, and at most only fairly harmless exposure to injunctions (court orders directing the OSP to do or not do something).

Your proof only proves my point... the service provider... IS NOT LIABLE.   Again this is NOT A MARKETPLACE!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Wow what? Shopify is not above the law. They have to comply with repeat complaints and they do not. What is it that you don't understand?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 0

Law?  Did I ever say they are above the law?   I never said they are above the law... learn to read or learn to comprehend what you read and not make an argument that makes you look like you have no idea of what you are talking about.  

You point out a specific reference to a Federal Act and clearly, within that act, it states Online Service Providers are not responsible for their end-users content.   Hmm, I guess you know more about laws than I do... I'm only a US Federal Officer.  So whatever you say.

Have a great rest of your day.

0 Likes