How to contact all customers with a one time announcement (without any apps)

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi there,

So I want to send all my customers an update on their pre-order.

After some research I found out that emailing multiple customers requires an app. I managed to use Zapier to flow all the customers to a mailinglist in Sendpulse but a lot of my emails sent from there keep ending up in spam. I tried everything from adding a DKIM key to SPF records, validated everything to 10/10 on mail-tester to whatever else I could find.

So I went back to dig into Shopify and see if there really isn't any option to send my customers a separate email (other than the automated ones). I did find out that if I go to the customers page and click on a single customer - and then click on their email address in the upper right corner, I'm able to send a custom email to that particular customer. I also found out that the layout of those emails can be changed in settings-notifications-contact customer.

So what I did then is copy the HTML code from the layout of the email I made before in Sendpulse and paste it into the "contact customer" html editor. I did add "Hi {{ customer.first_name }}." so that every email automatically includes their first name.

Now if I go back to the customers page I am able to send each customer individually, manually. All is fine now, no spam, email looks good, it's just a bit of manual labor as the mailing list is growing.

I'm just curious, isn't there a way to do this in bulk?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
18 2 1

Hey Airunl, 

It certainly sounds like you've done your research on this, so apologies if this comes across as a little naivé! 

This is absolutely possible, but not natively within Shopify. You'll need an email marketing platform that supports simple automation,  https://klaviyo.com is my preferred, but may be overkill for this simple announcement. 

You'll need to segment your audience to email those customers who've placed an order for the pre-order product. Most email-marketing platforms that integrate with Shopify should offer this. MailChimp did, but that ship seems to have sailed! ⛵

Hopefully, this added (some) clarity!

Let me know if there's anything additional I can help with...

Thanks,
Joseph Brown
Kubix Media | Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't tried Klaviyo yet. I did try SendPulse, and some of those gmail contacts ended up into spam. I think that happens because Gmail doesn't see those contacts as subscribers through SendPulse, even though they are technically subscribed to our domain. Do you have the same issues with Klaviyo?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
18 2 1

Hi Airunl, 

I haven't had any reports of deliverability being an issue from our Marketing Team. Klaviyo is a really sophisticated platform with great support, here's a helpful resource: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000873988-Email-Deliverability

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

- Joseph

Thanks,
Joseph Brown
Kubix Media | Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
536 31 84

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Airunl!

Great question about sending emails to your customers in bulk from the Shopify admin. I can definitely understand how this would be useful, especially when you're trying to send an update to multiple customers about a pre-ordered product. Personally, I've done this before, so I'm happy to share some tips! 

Currently, there is no way to send a bulk/mass email from the Shopify admin to multiple customers, as it can only be done one at a time. This is a request that we are aware of, and I would be happy to add your name to our list, so that our developer team is aware that this is a feature we should look into further, to improve our platform.

Thanks @Joseph_KBX, for providing the suggestion to use Klaviyo! Apps can definitely help, I do understand that @Airunl is looking for a way to perform this action without an app.

There is one other way you can not use an app: You could export your customer list, and add the emails in bulk to the BCC field of a new email in your email host (for example, Gmail).

To export your customer list from the admin, go to Customers and then click on Export. Exporting the list will produce a CSV file with all of the information for your customers, and there is an Email column which will show the customer's email address. For full details on what the CSV file should look like, check out our help doc: Importing and exporting customer lists. You can copy and paste the emails into your email to send a bulk email. 

It sounds like you've put a lot of effort and research into sending emails with Sendpulse, but found that this didn't work as expected because of spam. While I'm not familiar with Sendpulse, if you have any alt text added to your images, or any words that could be seen as spam, I recommend reviewing your email's content to make sure it's not being flagged for spam. You can use an online spam checker to proof your content and help prevent your emails from going to spam. There are some good suggestions on optinmoster here: Spam Filter Testing and Spam Checkers. There's also some really great tips on other ways of preventing your emails from going to spam, like how to format your subject line for better open rates, and best practices. 

Let me know if that helps! I'm also curious to see what the community has to suggest.

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2
Hi Tira, Thanks so much for those tips! I'll go for the export csv file now. But the advice on suspicious spam flags is also very helpful for the future! Thanks again!
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thanks Tira,

This seems clunkier than I would like but a good option for now :)

We would definitely be keen for this to be an upgrade by shopify.

Lisa @ipse_shop

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
536 31 84

I'm glad I could help you out as well, @ipse_shop!

We recently introduced Shopify Email, which would allow you to send out emails to multiple customers directly from your Shopify admin. If you would like to apply for early access, you can do so from our landing page here: Shopify Email. You can use Shopify Email to send out branded emails to customers with your logo, while using different email templates where you can format the text, colours, images and other elements of your email campaign. 

Let me know if that helps!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0
@Tira

I just signed up for the Shopify Email below. Is this active yet? Do we need to be approved for this? I’d love to use the feature natively if possible.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
536 31 84

Hi, @Fancyyourfanny!

Tira here, from Shopify.

That's great to hear you've signed up! Shopify Email is available for early access by signing up on our landing page here: Shopify Email Early Access. Our team is currently rolling this feature out to a small amount of merchants with a specific criteria to ensure we catch any issues that come up and can provide the best experience for all. They’ll be in touch should you be selected, and we’ll be rolling this out to all merchants just as soon as we can.

If you have any questions, please reply to this thread here. I'm happy to help!

0 Likes