How to create a buy one, give one option

Solved
NOLA70117
Tourist
3 0 1

We're located in New Orleans, and this Carnival season, we're selling king cakes. King cakes are one of the few Carnival traditions that people can enjoy this year, since all of the parades and balls have been cancelled. 

I've been trying to create a buy one, give one option, so that when customers add a king cake to their cart, they have the option of buying one at a discounted price for frontline workers. (We're partnering with a Carnival krewe that will distribute the cakes to hospitals so our customers don't have to do it themselves.)

I've looked for an app that will help me do this, but can't find anything. I've tried to create a discount code, but that's clunky, because I want it to be a suggested sale as they're checking out. Is there something I'm missing? I could set up a donation feature via an app (e.g. "Donate to our king cake fund for frontline workers!"), but that's a little different. I really want customers to know that they're buying an actual king cake.

Thanks!

JHKCreate
Shopify Partner
2042 331 444

Hi @NOLA70117 ,

The best way to do this would be by setting up an Automatic Buy X Get Y Discount from the Shopify Backend. 

That way they would have to add two cakes to the cart and at checkout they will get the discount. You can alleviate this clunkiness by adding comms via banners or text telling the customers what the offer is!

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com
0 Likes
HERmoneyTNT
1 0 0

This is awesome information. Can you please tell us what Shopify function to use to set up the buy X get Y discount? Thank you.

0 Likes
NOLA70117
Tourist
3 0 1

I thought about that approach, but I'm worried that it will create too much confusion--it will look more like a buy one get one than a buy one give one. Plus, customers would have to know about it in advance, so that they can add multiples to their cart. It would get especially confusing for folks who want more than one king cake for themselves. 

What would work best is a hidden product (which I can't figure out either). So when people add a king cake to their cart, they get access to a hidden item--namely, the king cake for frontline workers. Thoughts?

0 Likes
JHKCreate
Shopify Partner
2042 331 444

Sure thing!

Go to your "Discounts" tab on the lefthand side, Click on "Create Discount" then "Automatic Discount" and follow the steps!

Let me know if that solves it for you !

JHKCreate
Shopify Partner
2042 331 444

This is an accepted solution.

@NOLA70117 I see, I think this app can help you solve this: https://apps.shopify.com/gifter-cart-auto-include

Let me know !

0 Likes
NOLA70117
Tourist
3 0 1

That seems like a great option. I'll have to poke around the app a bit first, but the screen shots and documentation look promising. Thanks!

0 Likes