How to disable inventory tracking ?

10 0 0

hi I have 150 items that have a quantity in my inventory but I want to disable inventory tracking, how can I do this in bulk? I can’t even see how to do it one by one?!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

Hello, Sonia!

Lisa here from the Social Care team at Shopify. There are three different ways you can go about disabling the inventory tracking for your products. 

First, you can use the Bulk Editor in Shopify to enable or in your case, disable inventory tracking for your products. Step one is to go to Products and select all by ticking the box on the left-hand side of your products, see screenshot: 

The next step is to 'Select all list items (50+)'

Then press "Edit Products", which will take you to the bulk editor, and allow you to "Add Fields", including "Track Quantity". 

It is here where you can update in bulk the product settings to no longer track inventory. See here: 

This video shows you how to drag and drop within the bulk editor to select more than one option at once. Here's some additional information on using the bulk editor to update your products.

The second way is if you were to edit the product's inventory tracking individually. You would need to first click into the product, then select the variants you wish to edit, see screenshot here. This would be followed adding the inventory tracking fields and switching the tracking off using the steps above. 

Finally, the third way is to use the CSV method to disable your product's inventory tracking. Since you have 150 products you need to update, the CSV method is the recommended option for you to easily disable your inventory tracking. This method involves downloading a file of your products, updating the inventory tracking setting, then reuploading it to disable the inventory tracking on your products. To do this go to Products > Export, and select all options that apply. Once you have your file exported into a CSV, under the column "Variant Inventory Tracker", it will say 'Shopify' for any product that inventory tracking is enabled on. To disable this, clear the whole column under the header and leave it blank. After this, resave the file and go to Products > Import to re-upload. At this stage, it is important you select 'overwrite' so you do not create duplicates of your products. This process will allow you to disable the inventory tracking for all 150 products in your store after you have reuploaded the file.

Let me know how this goes for you and what method you decide to go with!

- Lisa

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
10 0 0

Thanks Lisa I will give it a try 

0 Likes
10 0 0

Hi Lisa, I used the CSV method and it worked, thanks very much :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

I'm glad the CSV method worked well for your store's needs, you are so welcome Sonia! 

While I was browsing your store ballare-queensland.myshopify.com I noticed under 'contact' from your main navigation, that you have a dropdown 'email' then the address. While on desktop customers can copy and paste, this may be awkward to access via mobile. What I suggest is you make the main 'contact' label into a direct link to a contact page. Learn how to add a contact form to your store here.  This will also keep customers on your site without having to open their email and copy and paste your email address. When using a contact form on your site, the customer's message will be sent directly to the email you have on file. The address customers reach you on can be changed or updated in your Shopify admin under Settings > General > 'Customer Email'. The fewer steps and less clicks the customer has to make the better. Here's an interesting read on Streamline Your E-commerce Experience With The Laws of Simplicity.

I also noticed that under your 'Shop' tab, that the links are not clicking through to shoppable products or collections. Here are some instructions on how to create collections. Along with some info on menus and links for connecting your navigation

Please feel free to reply if you have any questions.

- Lisa ?

0 Likes
10 0 0

Thanks Lisa, for all your great information, i am having a lot of problems trying to create collections and menu's in them for separating the clothing into different menu's. I can create the Collections easy, but I need sub-menu's inside the Collections. I found a comment online that says the theme I am using, Debut, does not have a facility for creating sub-menu's for products, and none of the free themes in Shopify have this function. Is this true? I have spent a lot of time trying to rectify this issue I have and nothing is working and now I think I know why, that the theme won't allow it. I may have to hire a professional to take a look at it for me.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

Anytime, Sonia. It sounds like you're needing a more comprehensive filtering system for when customers are browsing within the collections? 

Within the collections, Debut is limited to sort via the filter option at the top of the page (see screenshot here). The filter system utilizes the tag function which you can add to products following these instructions. However, if you'd like the option within the collection to then progress onto another menu, you would need to use a different theme better suited for large inventories. A free theme that accommodates for sub-collections within the collection page is Supply theme (see screenshot here). You can download Supply theme here from the Shopify Theme store!

As far as setting collections up as sub-collections, you would create the collection in the admin exactly the same as the others. It is just how you link it to your menu and connect it to your theme that will establish it's hierarchy. 

Let me know how this goes for you! 

- Lisa

0 Likes
10 0 0

Thanks so much Lisa, I will try the Supply theme now and let you know how I go!

0 Likes
10 0 0

Hi Lisa, I have updated my store with the Supply theme. I have created a menu item for 'shop' and then a sub-menu for 'women' but i don't know how to make product categories under that. so frustrating. see screenshot. it has allowed me to create a menu under 'shop', but won't let me make any menu items after 'women'

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

Hi Sonia, 

To link product categories under Shop > Women's, you need to first "Add Menu Item" to the whole menu, then drag this under "Womens", to nest the menu. Once you start this nest off, you can then use the 'add menu' button below the newly nested menu to directly add items. See screenshot below:

Accessing the third tier function isn't particularly obvious from the settings. I hope this clears up your frustration! Let me know how this goes.

- Lisa

0 Likes