How to display an item as usual, but not for sell

Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hello,

I am very new to Shopify. Is it possible to set some product non-purchasable on shopify platform? Those are products that only accept off-line ordering, but i'd like to see them displaying on my site, with descriptions, just like hiding the purchase button/section. While i still have majority of products accepting direct online purchase.

Thank you

Cindy

0 Likes
Excursionist
97 0 5

Sorry man.....no idea. But will search for you and get back to you.

0 Likes
9 0 0

Hi Cindy, 

The only way I can think of right now, is to add a new product and set it up so that Shopify tracks the inventory status. Set the quantity to "0" and uncheck the box " Allow users to purchase this item, even if it is no longer in stock." 

The product will then show up in your store, but it will have a "Sold Out" tag. So I would specify in the description that this is only for off-line purchase.

Jelle

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Cindy,

Are you familiar with working with Shopify's liquid template editors?  If not you can read more about it here - http://docs.shopify.com/themes/the-basics/build-your-theme/edit-theme#template-editor

That being said, I think I may have a solution for you!  You'll want to login to your Shopify admin, and navigate to your template editor.  From here, under the "Templates" folder locate your product.liquid file.  Copy the entire document as a backup, and paste it in a text editor.  Make sure to save it!

Now, hit "Add A New Template".  You'll be prompted with two drop down menus.  You'll want to create a new template for product named nobuy or whatever you'd like to call it. 

Once you've done this, Shopify will automatically generate a new liquid file based off the normal product page. 

Now we're going to do the fun stuff - remove and edit some code to get rid of the buy button!

Look for this code by hitting CTRL+F or Apple+F depending on what kind of operating system and keyboard you're using.

<input type="submit" id="add-to-cart" class="btn addtocart" name="add" value="Add to cart" />

Simply delete this line of code, and the add to cart button will be gone on the new template you just made!  This means that if you specify this new page as your product page, the add to cart button will be gone.

We're almost finished.  The next step is super simple!  Just head on over to the product that you want to only be available offline (aka the add to cart button is gone) in the Shopify admin.  Scroll down to the bottom and beside the Template heading select the new page you just made, that has the above code removed.  Remember, it should look something like product.nobuy.

When you've done that, just save your product and you should be all set to go!  You can see an example of it in action here : http://tuckerguru.myshopify.com/products/shadow-the-cat

If anyone else has any other ways of doing this that might be easier, feel free to share.

Hope it works out for you!

Cheers,

Tucker

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Totally solved the question I had -- same thing, I have a physical store; and an online store. I wanted everyone to see all my invetory online, but some things I just want to only sell if you call or come in person due to some complicated trimming requirements around the textiles we sell. Anyway, great! glad to be able to do this with a template tweak instead of the multiple locations work around I had started with.

0 Likes