How to enter a limited number of stock across multiple variants

Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 3

The website that I am building will be selling dresses. For the launch, there will be 40 dresses of a particular style available, however these dresses are made to order. I am looking to have a total of 40 dresses available and these 40 dresses will be available in any size from 0-30.

When I add a product there is the option to track quantity, however once the sizes are added the quantity needs to be allocated to each size. How do I get around this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 44 48

Hello, @sln.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

Since the size for the dresses will be made to order, there isn’t a way to manage the inventory for creating size variants for the dress. I recommend simply creating the dress without any variants so you can set the inventory to 40. You will also want to uncheck ‘Continue selling when out of stock’ as well. 

06-27-i7qk6-otryx

Then you can customize your theme to get customization information for your products or enable cart notes for customers to give their preferred size. The theme customization for getting customization information for your products is often used for engravings on a product. Please keep in mind that this is an advanced coding tutorial and does fall outside the scope of our Theme Support. If you have limited knowledge with HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Liquid, I recommend hiring a developer or working with Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts are experienced with custom coding and can help with this customization for your theme.

Another option is by utilizing a third-party apps to collect the customer’s size preference through custom fields. I’ve handpicked a couple for you to try:

If you need any assistance with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of the app’s page. 

I hope this provides some options for you to explore. Will most of your products be made to order and have limited inventory? Also, when are you expecting to launch?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 3

Thank you, that was really helpful

I am actually building the website for someone else so I will propose options to her and see how she wants to proceed

All products sold on the website will be made to order and at least for the launch (10 dresses) will be limited to 40 per dress. I think that selling a limited amount is likely to continue after the launch as well. Aiming to have it launched by the end of the year!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 3

Hi, I hope it isn't too late to reply to this to ask for further help!

I customised the theme myself to add 3 customisation information fields, two of these are drop down boxes and one is a long text field. I am just wondering how I am able to have these selections show up in the order confirmation email?

The website is selling made to measure dresses. Due to the nature of them being made to measure and customisable, we aren't able to offer returns and have a cancellation window of 48 hours so I feel it is important that the customer can see the details of what they have ordered

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
424 44 48

Hey, @sln.

No problem at all, I'll be happy to help. Yes, there are variables for order attributes or line item properties, that can be added to your order confirmation template. Since your products are custom order, you can include your refund policy on your order notifications as well. You can use this reference for the notification variables to add to your templates. However, it’s important to note that customizing the notification templates does fall outside of our design policy. If you have limited knowledge with HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Liquid, I recommend hiring a developer or working with Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts are experienced with custom coding and will be able to help you modify your order notifications. 

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes