How to estimate Shopify Rate UPS shipping charges in the USA for oversized packages

Solved
Chief_Caddo
2 0 0

I'm new to Shopify, so maybe someone can help me. I have an oversized package I want to ship in the contiguous-48 states via UPS ground using Shopify's negotiated rates. How can I find out what my shipping cost will be by zone so I can charge the customer the correct amount?

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
67 23 10

Hi, @Chief_Caddo!

Hilary here from Shopify Support. Welcome to the Shopify Community! From what I understand, it sounds like you are planning on using Shopify Shipping, is that correct? May I ask the dimensions and weight of your over-sized package? This will help us determine how it can be shipped. UPS does have weight and size limits, I recommend checking that your product falls within these limits first. 

With Shopify Shipping, you can display calculated shipping rates, instead of flat rates, to your customers at checkout. This would save having to estimate the different shipping charges for each state throughout the US, and would provide live rates for your customers at checkout. Shopify Shipping calculates the rate for your customer based off of the total weight of the products in the order, and the weight and dimensions of your default package size, as well as where you are shipping from (your origin address) and to (your customer's address).

Is this the main product size you are selling on your store? If it is the main product size, then you can set your default package size to accommodate for this product's dimensions. Using Shopify Shipping's calculated rates would be perfect in this scenario!

However, if this is one of many products you sell that all have various weights and sizes, this may not be the best option, since you can only set one default package size to calculate the rates at checkout. If this is the case, you will need to determine the approximate rates to charge your customers through trial and error. The best way to do this is:

1. Login to your Shopify Admin and head to Settings.
  2. Click Shipping and Delivery.
  3. Next set your default box size to accommodate the dimensions of this product.
  4. Set the correct product weight on the product details page.
  5. Open your storefront, add this product to your cart, and enter the various test addresses throughout the United States on the shipping details page.
  6. Continue through the checkout process to preview the live estimate.
  7. Don't forget to restore your preferred default box size after you are finished.

This is the best way to see an estimate of the UPS shipping cost with your Shopify Shipping discount. Alternatively, you could get a general idea of the cost from the UPS calculator, but this would not include your Shopify Shipping discount. Once you have determined the rates you wish to charge, you can set the different flat rates for each state through the use of shipping zones, as you mentioned.

Lastly, if you want to use calculated rates at checkout for your products that require different box sizes, you could use an app from our Shopify App Store to help with this. Let me know if you are interested in this option, and I will explain further in detail. Let me know how this goes! 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Chief_Caddo
2 0 0

Hi Hilary,

I'm getting an error message (as seen below) when I try to use your solution.  If I reduce the dimension size in Settings, then it works, but that doesn't help me.  The package I'm trying to ship is 42in x 37in x 20in and weighs 60lbs.

Chief_Caddo_0-1626022270586.png

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
67 23 10

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for sharing your package dimensions and weight, as well as the screenshot of the error you are receiving. This is helpful for determining your total package size, which cannot be more than 150 pounds, and 165 inches in length and girth combined, according to the UPS weight and size limits. After calculating your package size, it does seem that your package size falls within these limits. I recommend following how to calculate this from the UPS website to understand further. 

Since your package size falls within these limits, I have reached out to our Shipping team directly to see if they had some alternate suggestions to what may be causing this issue. However, the error you are receiving does not give us enough information to determine what is causing the issue without having access to your account. At this time, we cannot provide account-specific support on the Shopify Community, but we'd be happy to further troubleshoot this issue with you via live chat, email or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request. This way, our Support team will be able to view your account in detail, and help troubleshoot this issue further with you. 

Thanks for reaching out in the Community, since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes