How to get email address before giving free eBook?

Yugen
Explorer
67 2 14

Hi guys,

I'm giving a free ebook to my visitors using the Digital Downloads app. However, it doesn't collect email address before giving the download.

Link: The ebook link is at the bottom of the blog post.

https://www.bigglyboo.com/blogs/blog/a-quick-and-easy-guide-to-baby-showers

Clicking on the link just takes you to a direct download page. The only other way is to treat it like an actual product, but then it asks for address and everything, which I don't want. Please help!!

Replies 13 (13)

H-Azzam
Shopify Partner
50 5 14

You should connect it to your mailing list,

you could either display a subscribe form popup when they click the download link.

or the easier solution is to replace the download link with a subscribe form form with text above it like "Get the free eBook now!"

and setup your mailing list to send them the download link when they subscribe.

i think you will find apps for this in the store but i'm not sure, but it can be custom coded in the theme directly.

Hassan Azzam

— Full Stack Developer

Azzam9396@gmail.com

Jahangeer
Tourist
4 0 5

We are trying to do the same. Collect email and give a download link via the email they provide. 
So fat the best way is to create an email subscription link and send an auto-response email with the download link. 

Are there any good apps that can do the same without the hassle of setting up via an email client?

Leallustrations
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I'm trying to do the same thing with a downloadable freebie, did you ever find a way to do this through Shopify apps or otherise?

Thanks!

Becca

WildTimberCo
Tourist
5 0 2

Did you ever find a solution to this? 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

@WildTimberCo Generally you'd use an email marketing service for this like klaviyo or mailchimp.

IF it's with customer accounts instead of just email, you could use customer tags to gatekeep the content. 

You could also do this as a digital download as part of a checkout of a free $0.00 product

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/digital-service-product/digital-downloads 

Otherwise depending on theme if it has a newsletter type feature you'd need to customize it to show a link.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

WildTimberCo
Tourist
5 0 2

I have Klaviyo, but am struggling to figure out how to keep track of how many downloads. @PaulNewton, you mentioned customer tags, can you expand on that?

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

@WildTimberCo wrote:

you mentioned customer tags, can you expand on that?

you'd add the following to your create_customer forms , {% form 'create_customer' %}  ,etc 

<input type="hidden" name="customer[tags]" value="example_tag">

https://shopify.dev/api/liquid/tags/theme-tags#form 

Then the following noticing they would have to be logged in for the customer object to exist.

{% if customer.tags contains "example_tag" %}
 <a href="website.com">Link to pdf </a>
{% endif %}

Otherwise you may need another app to tag customers

Also see where drip.com is suggest https://community.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-marketing/offering-a-free-download-with-email-list-subscri... 

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

thefourthplace
Explorer
52 0 47

I am looking for a way to do this, and specifically one that only adds the tag (or other field I can pass to Mailchimp) if someone signs up on a particular page. (So the free product is determined by where they sign up.)

Ian Struckhoff
The Fourth Place
https://thefourthplaceforgeeks.com
nanna_svendsen
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Saima-Bilal,
I am very interested in how to collect emails in exchange for free downloads. Can you help with this?

Cheers, Nanna

Manello
10 0 0

I think you don’t need to deal with email addresses etc. Why, if there are torrents from which you can download and transmit them on different platforms. If I were you, I would download an ebook of interest to you, for example with The Pirate Bay , and then hand it over to Telegram. To deal with the mail, is such a hassle, you can make it much easier. I hope that I helped you with your question.

CollagenQueen
Excursionist
35 0 2

I'm also looking to do this. There is clearly a GAPING HOLE in this digital download area where providers DO NOT want to sell the asset but use it as a lead generating tool offered for free in return for an email address. The api store is FULL of SELLING tools but NONE offer a free lead generating tool. Shopify Devs - opportunity is a knocking!!! 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

@CollagenQueen Contact form apps basically handle this , app store is filled with them.

Really this is just a customization for the notification template sent for contact forms.

More complex, depending on store plan,  this should also now be theoretically possible by using some combo of shopify's own apps:  shopify-forms + shopify-flow + shopify mail + shopify marketing automations. 

CollagenQueen
Excursionist
35 0 2
Emphasis on the word "complex". It's not as simple as a contact form.