How to globally limit items sold per day

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 3
Is there a way to globally limit the number of items sold per day? We are planning to sell multiple products and we would like to be able to say “no matter what type of products are being sold, we do not want to sell more than 100 per day, TOTAL, across all products.”

Adding a limit on each items inventory would not achieve this because we’d have to correctly guess EXACTLY how much of each product customers are going to buy, so setting 50 of one and 50 of other in inventory might just mean we sell out of one product and sit on 50 because no one felt like buying the second product that day. In that case we lose 50 orders that day because we guessed wrong.

Is there a way to set inventory based on a TAG or something like that? That way, no matter how many products you sell, you can say, between all of them, we have a limit of 100 (or whatever). That way customers can buy as many of whatever types or products, but you can set the inventory across all those types.

For instance if I sell cakes, bread, and lemonade, but I’m a small company and know I can’t make more than 100 total items (regardless of item), I can set a tag of “products” and say that the “products” tag has 100 in its inventory. This way customers can order whatever amount of any of those items with that tag, and I can guarantee that I don’t get more than 100 items ordered across all those products.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3393 252 612

Hi @SoKneadyBreadCo,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

This is definitely something that is possible to do but it would be through the means of an app and not native to Shopify. 

There is an app which springs to mind straight away to me for this called Order Limits (MinMaxify) and you can find it here. There are a couple of other apps in the Shopify App Store with this function as their primary feature and you can see them below:

Hopefully, this helps!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 3

Hello @Nick 

I took a look at both those apps (and another by the name of "Connected Inventory"), and none of these apps address the issue. All of them can apply limits at the order or product levels only. The closest one was "Connected Inventory" -- as it can create "bundle groups" that will at least decrease the inventory of components of the "Bundle Master."

What I am looking for is -- say I am a one-person bakery -- I want to be able to say, "I want to limit the total number of products sold to 100 units during a one week period." Period. Doesn't matter what product (and by this I mean it shouldn't matter if there are multiple products and variants). I just want the total number of product units sole within a given time period set at "X" amount. I can't handle more than that.

None of the apps suggested allow me to do this.

The two products I have are very different and I cannot make one a variant of the other. I need to be able to cap the collective number of individual units sold ACROSS THE BOARD. But, so far, it seems there is no solution to this. 

All apps seem only to cap either 1.) Variants of a product, or 2.) Only places limits as individual order requirements (based on product, sku, etc), and not globally. 

I tried to use the apps to link each products inventory, but because the items are only dependent on ONE ANOTHER, if they are bought at the same time, I can purchase however many I want (since a purchase of one must be completed before the inventory of the other is decreased). So this limit must control at a higher level than the product level.

[UPDATE] I just noticed the premium option for limitsify! I am going to try that and report back

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

@Nick Just to confirm, the premium version of limitsify does actually allow you to configure and arbitrary "cost" for your products and limit the total cumulative "cost" either weekly or monthly. It's not very intuitive, but it does actually allow users to at least limit by week and month. 

Thank you for the suggestion! And this will work for me. Unfortunately, the weekly/monthly alert is the only one where we cannot as users configure the "alert" text... and its grammatically wrong, but I am reaching out to the vendor regarding this.

Thank you again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3393 252 612

Hi @SoKneadyBreadCo,

Thanks for the update and getting back to me on this. Good to hear about the premium version of Limitsify. I know it might not be ideal, but this is currently the closest workaround for this feature. 

I will also submit this as a feature request for our development team on your behalf. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
1 0 0

I also need to limit number of orders per day and week!! This would be so useful!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

@Jojo_Chappers You can use the app 'Mechanic' and add a task called 'Accept a maximum number of orders per day'. Hope this helped. 

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 5

Hi there! Did Limitsify end up being the solution that works for you?

I am thinking that alternatively, we make a set number of inventory per day and whenever an order is placed, the inventory number is deducted according to the delivery day (not the day the order is placed). 

Highlighted
1 0 1

I am trying to figure this out as well! 

Is there an app out there that lets you pick a delivery or pickup day at checkout and reduces the amount available on that given day??

Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 3

@Doughnaughty, yup!! Back when I first posed this question, I saw that Limitsify only had the week and month options, but yes! The premium subscription now includes the option of limiting by day! You do this by setting up a "custcom cost" per item, then limit the cost per day!

For example, say I sell 12 different types of bakery products, but I can only bake 100 total combined each day. I assign each of my 12 items with a custom cost of 1, then limit the custom cost per day to 100. That has the desired effect and solved the original problem. As mentioned before, you can also limit by week or by month as well -- which is great.

Also, Limitify does now offer "range limits" -- so if you can bake 100 from the 1st of the month through the 15th, but only 75 the other days of the month, you can set that schedule up. But note that range limits operate by calendar dates -- and don't repeat either. So you'd have to set any schedule up ahead of time, and if any changes were required, update as needed. 

@crane_wifeI don't know of an app that combines both limits and pickup/delivery scheduling functionality, sorry. But you could maybe combine Limitsify with a scheduling app to get that combination? Limitsify's "Range limits," would allow the global limit of orders to vary per a date schedule, but we've never tested limits on orders placed for a future delivery/pickup date since our business doesn't offer it currently.