How to have more than 6 collections on the Homepage?

BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

We're using a sectioned theme (Supply) It appears t be limited to 6 collections on the home page, and since we can't have "sub collections" we'd like to add more.

Some of the solutions presented in Community seem to allow this, but break the ability of the Collection Tiles to show an image - just grey boxes which is useless.

Has anybody had any success with this?

Replies 7 (7)

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

From what you've said, it sounds like you're talking about the Featured Collections section on Supply:

You can only have six collections in a row but you can have multiple rows.

To add a new row, click here:

Then here:

The grey boxes are just place markers so they disappear when you select a collection for that space, assuming your collection has an image:

Try that out and see how you get on. If this is not what you meant, please let me know. I'll be happy to help you further.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

No this is NOT what is happening.

I edited the collection-list.liquid file and changed max blocks from 6 to 12 as described by the Guru above. This showed then 2 rows, but the Collections do not show the images anymore. They are the actual collections and not place holders. The text shows the correct values but there is no image.

When I try to roll the edit back to an earlier version or edit back to the original 6 I get "An error prevented collection-list.liquid from being saved."

I logged out and back in again but the issue persists.

BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

Here is the advice form Lisa - Shopify staff, that broke the site...

Lisa here from the Shopify Support Team. 

It does require coding to show additional collections on the homepage. To do this go to:  Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Code > Sections > featured_collections.liquid

Once there take a look for this piece of code:

{
    "name": "Collection list",
    "class": "index-section",
    "max_blocks": 6,
    "settings": [
      {
        "type": "checkbox",
        "id": "stretch_collection_image",
        "label": "Use secondary image layout"
      }

You'll just need to change the 6 to a 12 and hit save. Now you can return to your theme editor to continue adding more collections to your homepage. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

- Lisa 

BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16
BFM
Excursionist
18 0 16

we fixed that issue by removing the theme and re-adding it.

Now a question to your proffered solution which I think CAN work for us. How, when we add a collection list can we change the title from "Shop For" to something else. ie. Unique for each collection list?

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

I'm glad you managed to solve this by re-adding the theme. That would have been my suggestion.

Before making any theme changes in future (including app installations), it's always wise to make a backup copy before you do. This way, you'll be able to quickly restore things to the way they were if something goes wrong.

You can use your Language Editor to change the wording in your theme, such as "Shop For".

Let me know how you get on with that.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

thomas06
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello @BFM, do you find a solution to have more than 6 collections with images ?