How to have nested collections?

Highlighted
16 0 0

I see many posts referring to sub collections, but they all seem to require navigation through a menu.

What we would like is to have is some collections on the homepage, which when clicked brings up a subset of collections within the homepage eventually leading to products.

We really don't want users having to click on menus and sub menus, only on the collection tiles, sub collection tiles finally leading to a collection of products.

Can this be done without an expensive app?

TIA

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
134 1 15

Hi,

There isn't really a native way to handle nested collections. Your best bet in my experience is to set up your nesting hierarchy using navigation menus, then writing some custom liquid to display those how you want. Depending on exactly how you want them displayed it could be cheaper in the long run to get it developed as a custom section, or an app could do the trick.

Cheers,

Elliott

Feeling a bit lost? Contact elliot@mandelbrotian.com for help with theme setup, alterations, custom functionality, and app development.
0 Likes
16 0 0

OK - no nested collection. That's a deal breaker for me. No way are we jamming our products in to 6 collections. This is a VERY VERY basic requirement. If we need to pay a developer we may as well go back to open source e-commerce. I don't know of one package that can't have a collection hierarchy, and in this day and age our customers should not have to search around in menu lists. Wow!

Thank you very much for the heads up.

0 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 1

You can have nested collections have a look at the post below:

https://ablesense.com/blogs/news/nested-collections-in-shopify

My main question though is how is better to be implemented:

Let's say we have a

• Super Collection called "Wheels and Tires"
  • Three Collections called Wheels, Tires, Tubes
  • And Products

Let's say we want to put Wheels, Tires, Tubes under the super collection Wheels and Tires 

Which way is better to do this?

(A) Making Wheels and Tires a collection, Wheels, Tires, Tubes also collections and then with the appropriate smart conditions to make Product Types be inside Wheels and Tires, and at the same time at Wheels, let's say? 

or

(B) Making Wheels and Tires a collection that includes Wheels, Tires, Tubes as Product Types?

Which way doesn't require a theme change?
How experts solve this problem?

Br,
John

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 4

Absolutely agree with posters aggravation! After reading through many, many posts the only options that we have found to include this VERY BASIC navigation are:

1. Hire a Shopify expert/coder - costs $money$

2. Buy a template that has this built in from 3rd party - $costs$ money

3. Purchase app - $costs$ monthly money

Could it be that as part of its business model, Shopify makes the decisions on what functionality to include in templates by calculating expected revenue from 3rd party Devs and purposely omits these blatantly basic navigational/functional pieces? I’ll let Shopify answer as to why this VERY BASIC navigation is not included in their templates and is included in 3rd party templates/apps.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9965 84 1469

@BKMc wrote:

Absolutely agree with posters aggravation! After reading through many, many posts the only options that we have found to include this VERY BASIC navigation are:

1. Hire a Shopify expert/coder - costs $money$

2. Buy a template that has this built in from 3rd party - $costs$ money

3. Purchase app - $costs$ monthly money

Could it be that as part of its business model, Shopify makes the decisions on what functionality to include in templates by calculating expected revenue from 3rd party Devs and purposely omits these blatantly basic navigational/functional pieces? I’ll let Shopify answer as to why this VERY BASIC navigation is not included in their templates and is included in 3rd party templates/apps.

If you wanted to try and edit your own theme the forum members may be able to give you some pointers. Not everything has to cost, but you will need to do some work. Shopify collection structure are flat so that's something you need to work with by default, but there'll always be ways to add collections of collections if this is important to you.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 4

Yes! Would absolutely do the work. I’m currently coding/blindly fumbling my way through adding fields to the log in and create account pages and from what I’ve experienced it’s not so difficult as it is time consuming, and time is a commodity when you’re starting out that you don’t have a lot of. If the tiered collections of collections was something we could put off of as a nice to have and when we have time we will code it kind of thing we would, but we can’t, because it’s a basic function of the site that’s necessary day one otherwise we will lose clients. And, because you’re doing so many other things when you start a business you think “surely Shopify thought of this, this functionality has to be included, how could it be only one layer, nobody does just one layer” it’s a bit of a shock that turns to anger when you realize why.

I do appreciate the reply and there are quite a few posts that you’ve commented on that have really helped us with questions we’ve had so far so thank you. I think we just need to resign ourselves to the idea that we have to learn some basic coding which is something we weren’t expecting with Shopify. 

0 Likes
4 0 0

@BKMc wrote:

Yes! Would absolutely do the work. I’m currently coding/blindly fumbling my way through adding fields to the log in and create account pages and from what I’ve experienced it’s not so difficult as it is time consuming, and time is a commodity when you’re starting out that you don’t have a lot of. If the tiered collections of collections was something we could put off of as a nice to have and when we have time we will code it kind of thing we would, but we can’t, because it’s a basic function of the site that’s necessary day one otherwise we will lose clients. And, because you’re doing so many other things when you start a business you think “surely Shopify thought of this, this functionality has to be included, how could it be only one layer, nobody does just one layer” it’s a bit of a shock that turns to anger when you realize why.

I do appreciate the reply and there are quite a few posts that you’ve commented on that have really helped us with questions we’ve had so far so thank you. I think we just need to resign ourselves to the idea that we have to learn some basic coding which is something we weren’t expecting with Shopify. 

BKMc, If you ever find our how to code this for sub-collections, I would really appreciate a follow up here.  We are in the same boat as you. It really came as a shock to us also that there is only one layer here in Shopify.  We are not very good with coding and may have to go back to WP and WooCommerce before this is over. 

At this point we don't have much in our Shopify Store as it is a test run mostly and we have kept out WP Install just in case of something like this. 

Wordpress Themes makes this look like rocket science, it is so much simpler to create and navigate.  

Sad that Shopify couldn't add the simplest of code. It isn't simple for me but I know it is for them.

Sad, sad, sad.

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 4
You’re right it is sad, sad, sad. And when you realize Shopify is doing it
on purpose it will make you mad, mad, mad!

Also, when you find out you can’t offer a discount AND free shipping
together to your customers because supposedly the Shopify coders didn’t
think of it when they put the templates together and it takes longer than 3
years to code and if you beg and plead and vote for it maybe, just maybe,
the Shopify coding gods will make it happen you realize Shopify is just
doing a shakedown and really don’t give an F about their clients.

Sorry, that’s a bit rough it’s just sad, sad, sad because Shopify could be
a beautiful thing if their upper management would stop trying to “leverage
and maximize profits” by purposefully leaving things out which should and
probably were included so that they can realize additional monthly income
from apps

I was the willing lab rat for our group and in the beginning defended
Shopify against the doubters. For us, Shopify was a test, a test to see if
putting together a quick temporary site while we built the real site would
work and maybe keeping it around for junior people to manage landing page
promotions etc., but now I/we have decided it’s more of a hassle than it’s
worth and realizing the strategy Shopify is using and the tactics they
deploy we don’t want our site or bank account held hostage when they feel
they’re not making enough profit in the coming months.

I know you’re right about WP, I was the one in our group that wanted to try
Shopify against the objections and warnings of the others and now I have to
hear “I told you so” in the meetings and I really hate that!
1 Like
4 0 0

You are correct. I am hunting a good postal plug-in for WP right now. That is the only hold up for me. We were trying Shopify to see how it works but it is just a money machine. Anything worth while, I mean, anything you want to add to this thing it cost you more money.  If I added everything I could and would use on WP, it would cost me a over $100.00 a month for a barebones store.

Crazy, just cray! Whoever is in charge is obviously after money more than they are service.

0 Likes