How to hide a product but keep it buyable

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10006 116 1818

@rseabrook wrote:

It does NOT hide the product from Shopify's on-site search.

That's not true.

It may not hide from third party search tools a store may be using but the metafield certainly does remove the item from the default storefront search. 

If you're finding that's no longer the case I see this more of a bug vs intended result. Would want to look into it if so.

[edit] I tested quickly. Looks like it's working to me.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

Good to know. I have been proven wrong by Tim's link to the docs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
55 2 7

A good app solution to this is Product Locker. Super simple and pretty cheap, you can use it to lock access to any product on your site but it can still be added to the cart.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I hope, I understood you correctly and you speak about anything like this great app. I use it all the time and didn't think anybody else like this.

app_locker_snap_2x

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.flippingheck.com/free-university-time-management-useful-skills/

0 Likes
Highlighted
23 0 0

Hey,

I know one app that can help you with the problem you are facing.

AutoHide Soldout Products (https://apps.shopify.com/autohide-soldout-products) can help you with the customization that you need. They did the same for one of the clients.

Download the app & contact their support team. They are really fast at responding!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,
I noticed that you said that taking it out of all navigation areas that the product won't be available but still can be buyable. I have found that this is wrong.

This is why:

Although I have removed it from all collections, as well as made a collection and put EVERY other product in the collection except the one that I want hidden. I have found that when a customer adds any product or products to their cart and they go to checkout, if they change their mind and "Remove" their product(s) from their cart while they are still in the cart page, they will be presented with a button that says "Continue Browsing"..... when they hit that button, although the hidden product is not in ANY collection and removed from all navigations, it will visible on the page after hitting "Continue Browsing".

Test it out yourself. Remove a product that you want hidden from ALL aspects of your shopify store but keep "online store" checked in the hidden products profile, then go to the home page of your shopify store, add ANY random product to your cart, navigate to your cart(usually by clicking the small cart button in the corner of your page), once in the cart click "Remove" on the random product you added. Once you have done this, you will see "Continue Browsing." Click this button and you will see that the item you wanted hidden, is now available for the public to see!!!

THIS IS A HUGE BUG THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED, AS I SOMETIMES NEED TO HIDE SPECIAL SALE ITEMS. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I just tested using the "hidden" metafield and it did NOT hide from storefront search. Dissapointing. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I am having this same issue.  We have wholesale products hidden behind a log in page (using Magic Pass app), and use Search Veil so that the wholesale products do not come up in the storefront search.

When a customer adds items to their cart and clicks the "continue shopping" link, all of the hidden sample and wholesale items show up on the top of that page.  Unacceptable.  Any fix?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi Kine, Thanks for your answer, but could you please explain this further, on my store, it's not possible to to create a new collection with a "is not equal to" on product tags, that option is not selectable (it's greyed out), also what does the "is not equal to" option actually do?

Thank you