How to keep customer logged in?

Excursionist
13 0 16

Yes, the same way Amazon, and facebook operate.  They are persistent cookies. They don't log you out after 24hrs requiring logging in, because that would kill repeat usability and conversions.  Dah.  Can this be changed please.  I've only realised myself that it logs out after 24hrs.  This is a stupid idea.  How do i change this?

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 16

If it were a 'security' requirement, Amazon would log you out every day. You might have heard of them? They're the largest e-commerce store on the planet?   And they DO NOT log you out after 24hrs.  Somehow they have figured out that keeping users logged in, helps with sales!  without creating a security risk, otherwise they wouldn't do it.  if there were a security risk, it wouldn't be there fault it would mean someone has control on that persons computer which means the browser saved passwords would still give the same access to the same accounts.  Come on. Please guys, allow us to change these cookie settings.

Tourist
6 0 1

Still no solution to this? The security claim is lame excuse as stated above... Should be a very easy to set up options, log out kills conversions...

1 0 2

Still not a solution, this is a big problem for my website...

Excursionist
13 0 16

@Bo Can we please have an update on this.  Why can't secure_session_id value be set longer than 24hrs.  How does amazon do this?  It is not a solution to request mum and pop e-commerce customers to hack their browser settings so they don't get logged out on our website. 

This is a shopify problem straight up. Please fix it. This should be on the top of the list of sprints.  Or a complete and thorough explanation or why shopify is so insecure to offer a persistent cookie like Amazon does. Why the powers that be in shopify have determined, against UX best practices on e-commerce, to log users out after 24hrs. It's simply a ridiculous proposition. 

Please, please fix this. 

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1534 152 439

Hey there, folks 

If you could provide me with links to your stores I will be able to add your names to the feedback document regarding this so that our development team is aware of your wat for this. 

Thank you,

Bo 

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 0 2

Bo,

This is a big problem for our store to. We are getting a lot of negative feedback. SouthCypress.com.

Excursionist
14 0 35

Hi @Bo this is definitely a feature that I would like to see as well, I have many customers confused about how to log in and having to do it constantly because I use an app that gives discounts based on the customer's past history, so it requires them to be logged in before checkout for the discounts to automatically load.  Please add my name and store to the development feature list.  Jacob Becher, ojai-valley-farmstand.myshopify.com

Excursionist
13 0 16

Thanks, @Bo , our store is mayfairsilk.com