Solved

How to limit to one item and one quantity only per checkout?

Besguerra
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi,

I'm looking for a way on how to limit transactions to one item and one quantity only per checkout.

Thank you

Accepted Solution (1)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Besguerra!

Don here from Shopify. 🙂

The first thing that comes to mind for your requirements is the Order Limits (MinMaxify) app.

I know that this will allow you to set a maximum (as well as minimum) product quantity.

From your post here, it sounds like you also want to restrict which products a customer can purchase as well as limiting the quantity of that item to one per customer?

I'm not 100% certain, but it does sound from the app store page description that this app should also be able to limit:

* Number of items for a specific product
* Number of items within a group of products

If you want to be totally sure of any aspect of using this app I would reach out to its developers using the contact details listed on the app store page as they will be able to field any queries you have about using this app.

Should you prefer to get this functionality coded into your store rather than using an app, you can also consider hiring an Expert Developer to create a private app or otherwise handle this using a custom-coded solution.

Are you still getting set up with your business here or have you been selling for a while already?

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 60 (60)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there @Besguerra!

Don here from Shopify. 🙂

The first thing that comes to mind for your requirements is the Order Limits (MinMaxify) app.

I know that this will allow you to set a maximum (as well as minimum) product quantity.

From your post here, it sounds like you also want to restrict which products a customer can purchase as well as limiting the quantity of that item to one per customer?

I'm not 100% certain, but it does sound from the app store page description that this app should also be able to limit:

* Number of items for a specific product
* Number of items within a group of products

If you want to be totally sure of any aspect of using this app I would reach out to its developers using the contact details listed on the app store page as they will be able to field any queries you have about using this app.

Should you prefer to get this functionality coded into your store rather than using an app, you can also consider hiring an Expert Developer to create a private app or otherwise handle this using a custom-coded solution.

Are you still getting set up with your business here or have you been selling for a while already?

Regards,

Don

ohmycs
Tourist
7 0 2

You can use this app, which is very affordable. I have been using for a bit and the customer service is excellent. https://magecomp.com/shopify-limit-qty-purchase.html It remembers customers and purchase history. It is pretty easy to set up. It goes by product name. It is really great for digital products. You can also set this to where it is limit 1 or however many per checkout. Very customizable.

ShopStore201
Excursionist
14 0 75

Hi Don,

I feel like this is the type of feature that should be built into shopify by now, it's quote simple and a lot of people want to use it. Would you ever consider integrating it?

Thanks

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @ShopStore201!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for letting us know that this is something you feel is important for and helpful to your business.

What I can do for you from here is to file a feature request for this on your behalf with our developer team.

This is how we let them know what our merchants are hoping to see added to the platform in the future and why it matters for them.

In order to best do so, it would be great if you could share your store's URL here (this is not mandatory, but helps us to better understand what kind of businesses are looking for this) as well as some info on why you want to see this in the platform.

With that info, I'll be able to file that request as outlined.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Don

JustMochi
Tourist
4 0 52

I'm quite surprised that this is not a standard feature in one of the biggest e-commerce platforms in the world.

HunkyDory
Visitor
2 0 10

Yes I was looking for the same feature. I have a customer that just buys up one particular product as soon as it's available - I'm guessing for resale. Since I use it to attract traffic its not good for business. It can't be that unusual to have this limit of product per order requirement. 

Jaclyn_Jones1
Shopify Partner
5 0 20

We also need this feature. I don't know how Shopify doesn't have this as standard in their platform either. Especially with what's happening in 2020. We have TONS of resellers just buying everything we have of certain items. We need to be able to limit it.

Lennart_v
Visitor
1 0 7

I'd love to use this feature as well. It would be great if this was offered natively in Shopify.

SandyUK
Tourist
7 0 15

Hey, a quick tip here - use the new FLOW feature that tracks against HIGH RISK orders. It will create a flow for you, you just need to set Payments setting to MANUAL capture from AUTHORIZE. So it will capture orders only if not FRAUD.

Here's the trick, you know the customers who do this for you, add them a tag like "Reseller", and then modify the flow to check for another thing - aka if customer tags contains "Reseller" also don't capture. This way - reseller buys 10 units, payment for $1000 gets authorized, but then it wont be captured, hence order wont get fulfilled and the reseller will have $1000 hanging for like 7 days". 

Also you can set this for large orders (e.g. above $300 of it's a big order, or also based on items in the order). Helps us to scare off at least the less creative resellers who buy a lot and form same details. 

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

or Shopify could add this feature 😛

Appreciate the workaround 🙂

pokupoku
Excursionist
13 0 12

I think this very often regarding several missing features...

JT57
Tourist
8 0 12

I'll second (or 35th) the motion to add this to the core functionality.

Seems like it should be standard.

Thanks,

JT

bakebisbees
Tourist
5 0 10

Also jumping on to say that this should be out of box option for us with our subscription to shopify. Really would prefer a native option vs adding yet another app subscription. 

Thanks, 

Zach

ArmagnacDE
Shopify Partner
5 0 4

I can only agree what all others have said. This should be a build in feature of Shopify!

SnapBack
Tourist
6 0 7

Time for the monthly bump to request this feature. Seems very straight forward.

Akhilc
Tourist
3 0 23

+1 this should definitely be a core offering, please can you let us know where in the queue this stands Shopify? 

bakebisbees
Tourist
5 0 10

I don't think this is going to move much since it's listed as "solved" 

Let's try and repost it with the concern that we shouldn't have to pay for an app to do this? 

I might also try tweeting @ Shopify. 

Akhilc
Tourist
3 0 23
Great idea! Do you want to start a new thread on the topic and we can try
to gather some interest. This should be inbuilt within Shopify not as a
separate tool as that causes other risks if something breaks
cujaia22
Visitor
1 0 7

Hello! I guess I found the easiest solution. You need to add a simple rule in cart template file. Just find the quantity input and add an additional rule for products which you need using their title, for an example.

Here is my code example. I put the limit for promotion products, all they have a word "Promotion" in their title. So I used this word to make a rule for quantity limit only for these products.

{% if item.product.title contains "Promotion" %}

<input id="updates_large_{{ item.key }}" class="cart__qty-input" type="number"
name="updates[]" value="{{ item.quantity }}" min="1" max="1" pattern="[1]*"
data-quantity-input data-quantity-item="{{ forloop.index }}" data-quantity-input-desktop>

{% else %}

<input id="updates_large_{{ item.key }}" class="cart__qty-input" type="number"
name="updates[]" value="{{ item.quantity }}" min="0" pattern="[0-9]*"
data-quantity-input data-quantity-item="{{ forloop.index }}" data-quantity-input-desktop>

{% endif %}

_Tom_
Tourist
8 2 7

@cujaia22 can you pease tell wich theme you are using? I use Dawn and I can't find the right template?

AnKlu
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you so much! That works perfectly and is exactly what I needed!

ShopStore201
Excursionist
14 0 75

Hello,

Please do not leave spam on this post. 

No solution has been provided by Shopify  

Your community account has only left one comment and has no feedback. We don't want this thread to be closed if an admin accidentally things a solution was provided. 

Shopify. this is basic functionality and we are asking for it to be included natively. We pay enough to you with all our other subscriptions.

Thanks.
DutchDelight
Excursionist
19 0 4

I have a different field, but works the same way. I  have buttons around the number, so those can be removed for the Promotion. Plus the input field should have some more to it: Make sure to center it and also put the readonly attribute in it. That way nothing can be changed in the field.

JosephAMichael
Tourist
11 0 24

Agreed.

It's kind of sad how little Shopify has as a standard e-commerce platform.

Rather they force you into paying dozens of monthly subscriptions for very simple and basic e-commerce features. (These should be one time payments by the way for 90% of the "apps" that are offered in the marketplace. I can't help but think these people are getting rich and fat off recurring revenues from items where it is a one-time install.)

Come on Shopify, let's get with the program!

ShopStore201
Excursionist
14 0 75

Yes, I do have to agree.

I really hope Shopify is able to catch up with the other e-commerce platforms in terms of theme ongoing development and general features.

I first raised concerns with this issue over 3 years ago and since then, multiple notable e-commerce brands using the Shopify platform have been exposed in media articles since their stock levels were made public by this loophole (adding 1,000 units to basket and then trying to check our, etc).

I believe it would be within shopifys best interest to protect its commerce customers with this feature without requiring the recurring purchase of a subscription which is not economical. 

Best

kidhack
Visitor
1 0 2

Any status update on this feature?

chrisr408
Tourist
9 0 30

Hi Don,

With due respect, I've seen posts requesting this feature to become native in Shopify in threads dating back to 2017. Many of these threads have been filed as "feature requests", I feel like the "feature requests" are also known as the "trash can".

With reference to "what kind of businesses are looking for this", a better question(s) should be  : how many businesses are looking for it and over what time period have they been requesting it.

benpellwall
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Is this stil not built in yet?!

MolloysLiquor
Visitor
1 0 5

It would really be great to have this feature built in.

We get limited release whiskey and beers semi regularly and have to limit them to one per customer. It's not so often that it is worth paying another app subscription but it is very frustrating to have to set the stock to one & disable our stock integration then watch for an order and add one again over and over every time it sells.

Just today a limited edition Jameson whiskey came in and the stock integration was enabled and it went live on the site and within two hours four customers bought our shops entire 30 bottle allotment from Jameson. 

BFgoldbar
Visitor
1 0 2

This is also a key feature that I assumed would be already built into shopify as seems pretty basic (kind of like setting a limit on a promo code?) and not require a custom build or paying for another app? We are a liquor producer and legally have to limit the quantity of product any one consumer can buy from us in a day so this is important and would definitely be valuable but doesn't happen often enough that I can justify paying for an app. 

CafeVivek
Visitor
1 0 2

Another +1. I'm going to provide a free sample for one of the items in my new store (not live yet don't bother looking). A little bummed to discover this still isn't in the core product. I'm still in the free trial period, I guess I could look at other options, but would really prefer to stay with Shopify as it's a known name.

hanger
Shopify Partner
5 0 7

+1 Looking forward to this feature on Shopify natively as well. It's the same idea as limiting uses on coupons.

promistery
Shopify Partner
2 0 3

Yea this would be great, and if its not a feature already, I suspect you make money off the 3rd party apps doing this functionality or else it would be in. It shouldn't be hard to do. Its things like this and not stacking discount codes, will make me leave shopify in the future.

tam131
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Don.
Just wondering if this is built into shopify now?
Surely such a simple feature shouldn't cost $5 a month? 

ohmycs
Tourist
7 0 2

We ended up getting a developer to help us at a very reasonable price. His name is Paul Newton and he did an awesome job on our site and we keep him on call for other projects. He is approved by Shopify as well. paullnewton@gmail.com is his email address. 

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

According to Shopify it should cost $5 a month and they wonder why the stock price keeps dropping. Meanwhile they hiked the price, totally out of touch with customers 😞

RagtagChris
Excursionist
19 0 23

Every single time I think of an extremely basic feature I want to use, I search how to do it and inevitably the answer is "pay for an app". I'm so tired of this.

And the question is always asked "will Shopify integrate this as a basic feature at some point". The answer to that will always be no, because Shopify gets a cut of every apps sales. 

Westtoer
Visitor
1 0 1

Yes, why isn't this a standard feature?

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

Because the Shopify business model is to charge for their service and then make more money on third-party apps that add basic functionality. I can understand paying a monthly fee for an addon like customer service portal that uses resources and needs maintenance but to pay a monthly subscription for something that should be static code is a joke.

GTG2019
Tourist
7 0 19

Another $10 per month, when this could be such an easy fix. 

Shucks! 

benpellwall
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

This really should be built in by now and i am fed up with Shopify not delivering on really basic and simple functionality that if it was our own platform I’d have built it in from the start or at least prioritised it along the way.

There are multiple examples of these kinds of features that they don’t offer when cheaper ones do.

ecephalonbrian
Tourist
3 0 15

The fact that this isn't a feature blows my mind. "There's an app for that". Yes, we know. There is always an app for $10/month to do some mundane task. It's ridiculous that I'm an admin of a Plus shop and have to custom code this feature. So so many of these types of things on these forums marked "solved" when the solution is "here's another app" or "Send us a feature request".

chrisr408
Tourist
9 0 30

almost 2 years on and 28k views later and no action on shopify on this simple request.

I'm not looking for an "app solution"... it should be available within core Shopify.

I've started a new thread here :

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-design/limit-quantity-available-to-add-to-cart/td-p/1434794

If anyone on this thread wants to bump the new thread, maybe it will generate some movement from Shopify.

Cheers

ShopStore201
Excursionist
14 0 75
We stated we don't want to pay third party apps for VERY BASIC
functionality that should be included.

Do NOT advertise your apps or services on this post. The purpose of this
post is to raise a feature request with Shopify directly.

Jemsyh
Visitor
1 0 2

Shopify people. Is this yet a feature?  Let me throw my name into the ring to say it really should be.... Can't be that hard to do?

JackTorch
Shopify Partner
17 2 0

RE: How To Limit Purchase Quantity for a specific product only per cart?

Hello everyone, this is interesting. I'd like to know how to do this on my websites. Do we have any coding solution to this? Please post if the code works on a legacy theme or on OS 2.0 themes.

Keep also in mind that there may be some loopholes that we must guard. For example, if a customer goes to the /cart page then even if they add more by clicking the +, that button shouldn't work as well for this goal to be perfect.

It would be good also if we can remove the add or subtract buttons on the cart for these specific products (condition statements needed?).

Thanks!

scom
Excursionist
39 0 46

The solution is the same as every other basic Shopify feature that is missing .... pay pay pay

Its honestly a joke how many times I have hunted around for how to do the most basic e-commerce feature and found myself reading a thread of other users asking for the same feature for YEARS, with the only option being to pay monthly for a plugin.

I use Shopify but have never and will never recommend it to anyone else because of this.

If you are listening (Shopify) please create a wish list for features where people can add and vote what they would like to see integrated and then dedicate a team to start implementing them.