How to make multiple shops from one account?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Yes, I think this would be drop shipping. Where I add a vendor's product to my store. When that product is purchased my store will pay the vendor for the product and send a shipping label to the vendor from shipping info purchaser/customer inputs at shopping cart POS. 

This would be more of a networking of the shopping cart functions, processes?

Displaying products from multiple domains may be easily implemented by itsanolive's suggestion(?):

{%- if request.host contains 'domain1' -%}
content and product grid with domain1 go here
{%- else -%}
content and product grid for domain2 go here
{%- endif -%}

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

@itsanolive 

Some examples of the case statements would be excellent!

Thank you! 

I am not into java or jquery yet. However I am very excited about developing with Liquid. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@MKiger  

"Where I add a vendor's product to my store. " 

You might need to describe this to either the Shopify merchant processing or if you have your own processor.

As a description this idea is not new.  Your attempting to build a mall. Different vendors can submit their products in your site, then you process the sale. The downside is it not allowed by most all processors.

Here is an example. When you go to the mall, You make purchases in 5 different stores. before you leave, you pay at the counter at each store. You can not take all your items to a single location outside each store to pay for your items. If you can pay on 1 website for all 5 stores, you will mostly have 5 different shipping amounts. ( no value to the customer ). Also if 1 customer does not like or did not get their item, most likely your going to get a charge back, This would cancel your funds for all 5 stores. These funds will be removed from your bank account immediately. You'd then have to explain to the processor what your doing. 

"According to the credit card rules, a vendor with physical products can't charge until a window just before the product actually ships. So, a lot of vendors will do a authorization to validate the credit card, and reserve the funds. When the product ships, they will then use the capture transaction to charge the same credit card without the credit card needing to be present."

Consider that you would need to verify that all 5 products were actually shipped before you can close the capture of the credit card.

If 2 items were sold out or not available, you would adjust the customers transaction.

The only way Amazon is successful is because they actually ship the items. 

If, you were to sell 5 items, 1 from each 5 vendors, you'd basically process 5 transactions. If there are any shipping or any other fee's, the customer will need to see that in the transaction. Then they will have 5 different charges on their credit card statement.

When ecommerce first got going on the internet, this concept was very popular. 

I'm sure their are sites that are doing it, but they would required very deep pockets to handle the customer issues.

So, maybe it might be a good idea to have 5 shop's all as part of your 1 site, then provide a link to each. All of your sales could go to your admin. Then allow your vendors to log into their accounts and verify ( by a shipping tracking ID ) that the items has been shipped. 

Either you collect the money with your own account, or you set it up so that each vendors store processes the sales individually and they would pay you a commission.

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

@devworx 

Thank you for the extensive info about running a Shopify Mall. This is sort of what I am looking at but not in the same scenario as a brick and mortar mall. However I see where you are coming from with this. What you say makes sense. 

My first attempt at this will be strictly with drop shipping vendors. I am thinking I can code the shopping cart to do the multiple charges in the background. The customer will add items to the cart from the store and likely items from multiple vendors. At 'checkout' customer will get a receipt with the charges for each item and the vendor name for each vendor's products purchased. The cart will submit multiple payments to the multiple vendors for each item and send each vendor a shipping label. Each vendor gets paid and to make shipping more efficient and not clunky vendors get shipping labels created from the purchaser's shipping info at the point of sale. 

If this is not possible then (how ya like that statement? {If this not / then} I will look at creating sections in my store for each vendor's products and a shopping cart/checkout for each vendor. 

My first store is a pet bird products store. So there won't be like 100 vendors but something like 10-20 I think to start.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@MKiger 

Hi, you're close to the right idea. 

1) "The cart will submit multiple payments to the multiple vendors for each item and send each vendor a shipping label."

The way a shopping cart works is that it will collect a list of items, creates a total, then will process the customer credit card. When the customer see's their statement, it will show the name of the merchant as who charged the card. The processor requires that the merchant listed is the actual one making the sale. In what your describing above, it can never be separated in that way. Each sale is recorded to a single merchant. If you are the merchant collecting the sale, and then you tried to separate to each vendor, your placing your merchant account at risk. As described in the previous post.

So, ( since that doesn't work, then }

If you take a step back and look at the mall idea.

Let's say you have your website as: animalstuff.com

You have agreements with suppliers that will drop-ship for you. They provide the the "back-end" as if they were your "warehouse". When a sale happens, they get notified. They then log-in to their unique admin access to view, process and ship the items purchased. As, they would be the merchant account that processes the customer card and respond to any questions the customer might have. This takes ALL of the responsibility of the sale off of your shoulders. 

Now, let's say you sell want Bird, Dog, Cat, Hamster or any other group of animals. Remember.. your animal stuff.. right?

Now, let's package the site toy make it work.

Your animalstuff.com is now a mall.

You then have stores within the mall that you advertise as:

Bird.shop-animalstuff.com

Dog.shop-animalstuff.com

Cat.shop-animalstuff.com

Hamster.shop-animalstuff.com

Sales are not across the "entire mall", they are from individual stores.  You're just helping visitors find stuff..

So, when a sale is made from Birds.shop-animalstuff.com as an individual store, the collections in the cart are processed on your your back-end partners account. Lets say they use PayPal to process their own sales. For example its: birds-animal-stuff@back-end-warehouse.com ( this would need to be setup by the partner's PayPal account. it show the continuity between you and the partner ) -- the cart will process the sale, and the partner is paid, processes the sale, ships the item. When the item is shipped, it's displayed in your sales admin. At the end of the month, or whenever you agree to, the parted will process a "transfer to a friend" -- no fee's the amount they agreed to pay you for sending them the sale. 

The sales is completed for the store "Bird" and the customer is still in the mall navigation to look around and maybe buy something else..

Or, if they find something they like,  they could add it to their "WishList" account. This account will be good for all of your individual shops.

This is then repeated for all of your "stores".

Note that whenever you go to a travel site like:

• Booking.com.
  • Kayak.
  • Priceline.
  • Hotels.com.
  • HotelsCombined.
  • Expedia (which owns Travelocity and Orbitz)
  • Agoda.
  • TripAdvisor.

What do they all have in common: They all are like a mall. They list for you a bunch of "hotels ( aka stores ) and then you purchase each individually. Multiple reservations are not grouped together as a single purchase. Does anyone care? Nope.. nada.. how does this really differ from your mall idea?

A very cool option is that all of the customers will be able to view sales from all of their store purchases from their account member access.

The issue is that I have no idea if you can do this on Shopify. Maybe in the Plus option?

What do you think?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@MKiger 

Hi, I wanted to let you know I did reply to your last post. 

The discussing board algorithm tagged it as "spam" so it's under review by a human ( i think ) It had some site examples so that might be what caused it.

Anyway, we'll see if it gets posted. If not, I will submit it again a little differently. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 3

@MKiger 

Did you happen to notice your question and responses have 112479 views? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1
I read your reply and will get back to you on this subject. Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

According to my knowledge, Shopify allows you to register one account to link to your store. It could become very messy if you're having to log in and out of different accounts to manage all the stores. Shopify just doesn't have the ability to set up multiple stores under one account. I think my comment is helpful and if you still face any difficult then kindly do comment here.

0 Likes