How to prevent image hotlinking on shopify

Steve82
Excursionist
19 0 31

Is there a way to prevent image hotlinking on shopify? (Shopify employees, do not say to just send DMCA notices, that is lazy on your system and wastes more of my time to send them)

Fine Art Landscapes - Sawusch Photography - USScenics.com
0 Likes
Alex23
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 104

Hey, Steve!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

The available methods for preventing image hotlinking require access to running scripts directly on the server of your site, which is not something that's currently possible on Shopify.  That being the case, if you'd rather not take the route of issuing DMCA notices, you can use an app to protect those images.  We've a number of them available - I'd suggest checking these ones out:

These apps will have differing features and price ranges, so check them out and see which one works best for your needs - each does offer a trial period, so you can try them out with no commitment required!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Steve82
Excursionist
19 0 31

Right to the point, why do people think that disabling right click stops this? It does not. Any site that disables right click literally slows me down by 2 seconds (1 time). All I do is click a button in my browser that disables the script and viola, right click. On top of that, there is a lot of bot traffic that scrapes the images and does not even load these scripts. Why would I want to pay up to an extra $60 PER YEAR just to disable right click? Disable hotlinking should be built in, I am paying you for it.

This is an easy fix. Create a section in the settings that has a checkbox to disable hotlinking. Then create a form field where you can create a whitelist of sites. Auto poplulate it with the most common whitelisted sites and let users add/remove as needed. Then inject the information into the htaccess file. Many cdn's have a way to disable hotlinking. Guess what, THIS WILL SAVE YOU BANDWITH AND SERVER MONEY. Another straight forward "feature" that shopify does not have.

0 Likes
Alex23
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 104

Hey, Steve!

Totally understand your frustration.  One of the apps I'd listed, Content Protection, does allow for preventing hotlinking; the others provide different capabilities, which is why I'd offered a range in case it didn't quite suit your needs.

That said, I can absolutely appreciate if you'd prefer not to use an app for this, and I can definitely see the utility of what you've suggested here.  While that's not currently a feature that Shopify offers, I'll be happy to send this up to our developers as a request; feedback like this is invaluable in making Shopify a better platform for all our merchants.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with your thoughts, I'll pass this on to the team!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Steve82
Excursionist
19 0 31

Any update on a server side fix (aka htaccess)? For anyone that is looking for a fix on this, contact shopify and put in a request. The only way this will be fixed is if enough people complain.

Steve82
Excursionist
19 0 31

Another update, still no fix from shopify. Keep putting in development requests.

0 Likes
OliviaL
1 0 0

Hi there,

Is there any news about preventing hotlink yet with Shopify? it is very frustrated to have so many random questionable sites linking to your website especially when your site has lots of images created specifically for your site. It is not fair to have these sites stealing your images all time and not being able to do anything from Shopify. Considering Shopify customers including many artists this should be made a priority.

0 Likes
Madison09
Excursionist
21 0 4

This really sounds stressful!

Been through this a lot and I have invested money but ended up other stores are benefitting from it. I came across this UNIQUE app, and it is very cool. It detects other stores that uses my brand's images and contents.. It automatically sends a notification to me through email and it automatically deletes those photos.

Try it. they have a free trial.

https://apps.shopify.com/unique-anti-theft#reviews

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Abdullah3
1 0 1

I have very good and FREE solution to this - Route your domain DNS through Cloudflare (you need to create a account on cloudflare-it is FREE and easy) and you can disable Hotlink issue easily from there located under Scrap Shield.