How to refund shopify pos without a receipt or going to order history

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,  it is an essential part of my business to have the ability to refund items without having a receipt or going to order history (I could explain why but it doesn't matter at this point). Right now employees have to make a note on paper and we have to make manual adjustments in the books. 

Is is this feature coming soon??

thank you 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey Tim!

At this time, an order needs to be selected to be able to process a refund. This is because the funds are automatically processed through the gateway to be sent back to the card used at the time of purchase. As an alternative, it would be possible to offer store credit, or a Gift Card for use in the store. 

Another options, depending on the structure for your business, would be to collect customer information at the time of the sale. That way you can look up the customer by name if they lose their receipt. 

There are no immediate plans on changing this behaviour, but if you reach out to our support team, we should be able to create a feature request and start collecting data about how often this is requested, and hopefully add this in the future. :)

Andrea M | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com | 1-888-746-7439

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

We are a water store and people pay for bottle deposits and have them refunded when the bottles are returned at some time in the distant future. These are usually cash transactions when we refund the bottle. People who return bottles have usually purchased them years prior and are not in our shopify system.

Also, we do not enter Customer details for every transaction, since 90% of our transactions are for $5-10 items.

How do I "reach out to your support team" to request this feature?

Thank you,

Tim

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
67 0 4

Hey Tim!

No need to worry - I'll create the ticket and submit the feature request. You'll see an email coming your way from me. 

Andrea M | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com | 1-888-746-7439

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi we just switched to shopify from another system so we don't have orders from a purchase a couple weeks ago.  I need to be able to exchange the item previously purchased on other system to shopify, but could not get it to work.  We rarely have returns, but when we do we need to be able to at least return it back in our inventory for something else.  Please advise.  Thank you!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi there,

I own a gift shop and I wanted to know if there is a way to process a return or exchange without going to the order history. Is there a "custom returns" option as it gets a little bit awkward when a customer wants to return something gifted to them and we have to search back the name of the person who gifted it. We've encountered this problem quite a few times since our initial switch from our old system. We'd love to have a way of returning without having to search back for a client. Thanks so much!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Yes, same issue here. Please advise. 

0 Likes