Solved

How to remove leftover code from an uninstalled app?

carowilson
Excursionist
38 0 0

Hi, I uninstalled an app called Transcy and there's still a language selector at the footer part of my website.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.21.27 AM.png

How can I resolve this? My website's URL is carowilson.shop

Thank you very much!

Accepted Solutions (2)

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

This is an accepted solution.

Best to contact app support. They know exactly what code was injected.

Most apps that inject code into themes also provide an uninstall functionality within their app.

The current app uninstall process is painful for both merchants and app developers for now.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products

View solution in original post

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2194 201 587

Hi @carowilson , I agree with @Mircea_Piturca that contacting the app developer is the easiest route for you. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

To add to this, it's common to have leftover app code in a theme, we (my team Speed Boostr, the Shopify optimization agency) see this all the time. The reason is that when you delete an app, it instantly loses access to your store, so cannot clean up the code. We've asked Shopify to allow a lag, like 10 seconds, for apps to clean up but as of now it's still an instant revoke.

To answer your question though, if you're unsuccessful with the app dev, look in your theme.liquid layout file, or a section / snippet called footer.liquid. The code is probably in one of those.

While you're in theme.liquid, read the full file to see if you notice any other old app snippets, so you can remove those and improve your page load speed.

*As always, duplicate your theme first and do the edits on the back theme so you don't risk editing your live site.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

Best to contact app support. They know exactly what code was injected.

Most apps that inject code into themes also provide an uninstall functionality within their app.

The current app uninstall process is painful for both merchants and app developers for now.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2194 201 587

Hi @carowilson , I agree with @Mircea_Piturca that contacting the app developer is the easiest route for you. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

To add to this, it's common to have leftover app code in a theme, we (my team Speed Boostr, the Shopify optimization agency) see this all the time. The reason is that when you delete an app, it instantly loses access to your store, so cannot clean up the code. We've asked Shopify to allow a lag, like 10 seconds, for apps to clean up but as of now it's still an instant revoke.

To answer your question though, if you're unsuccessful with the app dev, look in your theme.liquid layout file, or a section / snippet called footer.liquid. The code is probably in one of those.

While you're in theme.liquid, read the full file to see if you notice any other old app snippets, so you can remove those and improve your page load speed.

*As always, duplicate your theme first and do the edits on the back theme so you don't risk editing your live site.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks