How to restrict shipping countries on certain items/collections?

2 0 1

We would like to ship to as many countries as possible. However, some products just can't be shipped to certain countries. Therefore, i am thinking it might be able to block off the customers in the countries that we can't ship to by simply restrict the countries of those items/collections. However, i failed to find the best answer........ Please help us!!!!!! 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
707 37 100

Hey, @samsam123

While our teams are actively looking into getting further shipping features added to the platform this type of feature isn't yet available. As it stands to create product-specific shipping rates will require the use of a third-party app. Here are a few to consider: 

The only catch with these apps is that they require your account to have the "CCS" feature which comes at a cost of $20 per month, or free with an annual payment to your monthly Shopify subscription (10% savings on the plan, $240 savings on the feature). Outside of this, I have gone and added your vote to our existing feature request so our teams are aware there is further interest in getting this added to the Shopify Platform. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
2 0 1

Hi Peter, 

Appreciate your prompt reply. thanks.

I see... if these app increases us extra cost at this moment, we need to come up with another solution.

What if we restrict some of the countries for shipping on the whole shopify store , what are the steps we should follow?  (we were trying to the "button" to click on to restrict some countries, but failed to find ones  ) please direct us. 

Waiting for your answer.

Regards,

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
707 37 100

To go about this without the apps can be a bit clunky, however, here are a few routes to consider. 

Shipping Zone Restrictions: You could create shipping zones for all the countries your product can ship to. This will effectively block out all other countries while still allowing you to have dedicated shipping rates per country. This method works so long as you don't have a mix of restricted products (ie some are sold to country A but can't be sold to country B). 

Weight-based Shipping Rates: If you're using manual rates, then you could set your restricted products to a higher than usual weight. With that, you can create weight-based shipping rates that match these high weights in the countries that you can ship the products to. This method allows you to offer your unrestricted products to other countries as these countries wouldn't have shipping rates for the high weighted products. That said, this method still follows suit with the first method in that you don't have a mix of restricted products. 

Outside of these two routes, it would require the use of an app to help get this created. 

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 3

CAUTIONARY TALE:

I started my store in September 2017. In January 2018, we decided to branch out from basic USA only shipping for all products and offered shipping to other countries for some of those products by using a third-party app as described as the only current solution for this (side note- this is a HUGE Shopify flaw). We set everything up according to the app instructions and ran multiple test orders based on various countries for various products and order combinations. If an order included a product that didn't currently ship to that country, no shipping options would be available. Instead, we had set up a message to inform the customer to review the items in their cart for country restrictions and to modify their cart accordingly to proceed with their order. If the respective product was removed, the order would result in the available shipping options for that country. It passed every test. And everything worked perfectly.

Or so we thought.

Since that time, we've added thousands of new products. Each time in doing so, we would sync the app to our new products and run a couple of tests just in case. This past week I created an order for a person in NY, USA containing 6 products. I received the message that no shipping options were available. Thinking this was just a one-off and the problem existed with a particular product, I tried each product one by one - NONE of these products would ship to this zip code in NY, USA.

SUMMARY:

1. I have no idea how long this has been going on.

2. I have no idea how many of our thousands of products were affected.

3. I have no idea how many zip codes in the USA or countries in the world were affected.

4. I have no idea how much money I've lost from this.

5. I have no idea how many customers I've lost from this.

6. Test EVERYWHERE and EVERY PRODUCT, EVERY TIME you add a product if you decide to use an app, or

7. Don't do it, unless you want to spend a year+ trying to pinpoint and solve conversion issues you can't see.

8. NEVER rely on or use any app or service that can cause invisible problems for you.

9. Shopify needs to solve this.

10. See #8 again. This is the hardest, most crucial business lesson I've learned.

2 Likes
Tourist
6 1 2

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Joomla and Virtuemart. I came to Shopify from Joomla, even willing to spend on Shopify, but its getting ridiculous and expensive. 

In Singapore, there is a Government Tech Grant, called the PSG Grant, that helps with the annual Shopify fee. Soooooo lucky i didn't use it. I actually got the quote and everything, but thought let me try and see how this works.

I mean the free options such as Joomla, Zencart have many more features and seem more suited than Shopify. No doubt, Shopify has some nice features, but its lacking in some basics!

And now i have to set Quantity to 0 for those items i can't ship internationally simply due to cost. Its such a shame!

For a company with a Revenue of 673.3 million USD (2017) - Reference Google, 17th May 2019, you'd think they could add these basic features...... 

2 Likes
Tourist
6 0 3

Shopify, do you have any idea when the improved shipping features will be implemented? There are so many things I can do so easily in my Etsy store that are impossible on Shopify without an app, and those are sadly not in my budget at the time. I like that my Shopify store looks pretty, but the backend of things is a bit of a nightmare. Take a look at Etsy and try to copy what they do - they make it SO easy for the user (they have their flaws for sure, but ease of use is not one of them).

3 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
707 37 100

Hey, @Catharina_Coyle!

We are rolling out the "Shipping Profiles" feature to all eligible merchants over the coming month(s) and expect to have this feature added to all accounts by the end of fall. I've shipped you an email to discuss this further.

Chat soon!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0

Hey Peter, 

Can you send me the link? https://pharmaskincare.myshopify.com

Thanks,

Dario

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
707 37 100

@cleatsupfc 

I've shipped you an email!

0 Likes