How to send automatic discount code emails to subscribers

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey,

I'm trying to have automatic emails sent to subscribers with a discount code, but not sure how to do that. 

Thanks,

Sara 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 31 47

Hi, @mabellecherie !

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

If I understand correctly, you're hoping to send an automatic email to your new subscribers with a discount code, is that right? If so, here are the best options:

Confirmation Email Notification

The first option would be to include the discount code in your native notification for the "Confirmation email". This email will only send automatically when a customer subscribes to your newsletter AND you enable the "Double opt-in" setting for the subscription.

If you head to Settings > Notifications in your Shopify admin, you can scroll down to Email Marketing. From there, you can see the Double opt-in setting to enable. This will essentially send an email automatically to your customer asking them to validate that they want to subscribe to your newsletter. 

06-55-dawur-088vi

Then, you can edit the notification email template itself to customize it with a discount code. From the same page in your admin, you will see the Confirmation email notification template to edit - just above the Double opt-in setting:

06-56-gh09m-5y2fa

* Note: you can customize all the general Notification settings (logo, colour theme) at the top of the page by clicking "Customize" *

The fields to edit will be in HTML format but you can also click on "Preview" to see what it will look like. If you are not comfortable with editing HTML code and would like to move forward with this option, please let me know and one of our internal teams can assist. 

Shopify Email

The second option is to utilize Shopify Email. While this option does not automatically contact your subscribers upon entering their email for the newsletter, you can set up a campaign every so often to send a welcome email to your new subscribers with a discount code. From your Shopify admin, you can click on Customers > Email subscribers to keep tabs of the new subscriptions to contact them with the discount code. For more information on Shopify Email, check out this link.

Application for "Welcome Email"

Lastly, you can consider a third-party application to automatically send a welcome email to your new subscribers. Most of these applications will incur a monthly fee but it really does encompass the best of first two options whereby it is automatic and customizable. I would recommend taking a look at our blog post on Email Automation Campaigns to see the best app options for Welcome Emails. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Cheers!

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks a lot for your help! Will try that and if I have questions will let you know. One other thing, when someone subscribes is there anyway where Shopify verifies them automatically without me manually sending them an activation email? 

Thanks,

Sara 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 31 47

Absolutely, @mabellecherie !

In fact, you don't need to manually send them the Double opt-in email. That is sent automatically if you enable the setting in your Notifications. Otherwise, your customer will automatically be subscribed without receiving an email to confirm their subscription.

I hope that makes sense.

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I also had the same question and so I was reading through this.  I have a couple of questions regarding the second option - setting up campaigns via Shopify e-mail...

1.  How do I only send the welcome email to new subscribers? How can I just send to people who I have not sent this welcome email to before?

2.  How do I access the welcome email I created in order to then send the same email to new subscribers?

Many thanks,

Liz

0 Likes