How to send the gift card to an specif email

Luis15
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi,

Is there a way to send the gift card to an especific email that the client specifies?

Thank you

Replies 26 (26)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, Luis!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

When a customer purchases a gift card it will automatically be sent to the email address that they used to checkout. However if you are wanting to send a gift card directly to a customer, without them passing through the checkout, you can do so from your admin. 

This page from our help center explains the steps to generate a gift card and send it to your custom... The full code will be visible to you when you generate the card, but after that it will only be available for the customer that you've sent it to.

Does that help? If you have any other questions about it let me know. You can give us a call too or start a live chat at any time. We're here 24/7 and are always happy to help out!

Thank you, 🙂
Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Luis15
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi Lizzy, thank you so for your answer.

I think I explained wrong, let me try it again:

I want the customer to have the ability of sending the gift card to an specific email other than the email he used for the checkout process,  is  it possible?

Thank you.

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hi Luis,

You customers will only be able to enter one email address during checkout. Which is where the gift card will be sent. It is sent as a link in an email however, so if they were wanting to send it on to another person or address they could forward the email, or share the link.

You can resend a gift card to your customers from the admin, if they've sent it to an email address that they don't have access to. You can action that from the back end, by going to Products>Gift Cards and hitting "resend gift card."

The last thing I wanted to mention is that if your orders are not set to auto-fulfill you will need to send the gift card to your customer from the order page. You can check your fulfillment settings under Settings>Checkout. 

If you are not set up to auto-fulfill and a customer has contacted you to let you know they would like a gift card sent to a different email address, you can update the customer's contact information before sending the gift card. Keep in mind though, that this will change the customer's contact information in their customer profile as well.

Does this help to answer your question? If I haven't answered it fully, let me know! 🙂

Lizzy | Shopify Guru

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

DMK
Shopify Partner
5 0 33

All this trouble for something that's inherent to gift cards—they're something given to someone else. Forwarded emails smack of sloppiness and the solution provided is awkward if not unfriendly, putting the impetus on the customer to reach out in order to fix a broken or unsatisfactory system. I don't know, it's just a shame because it's just so close to being right....

Regardless, it'd be pretty nice if this limitation was noted on the gift card Help Center page loud and clear before more people end up wasting their time.

BritPinkTag
Tourist
4 0 30

Any updates here?  This seems like a big miss on Shopify's part.  Afterall, it's called a "gift" card.  

bodytruth
Tourist
3 0 5

I agree this is ridiculous! It's such a pain in the ass when people want to gift others. It's been a crappy experience for me during the busy Christmas season. It should be a complete and seamless process. It's greed imho for Shopify to offer a half ass service. They collect money for the gift cards and we have to spend unnecessary time or extra money to get those cards to the intended recipients! Shameful!!!!

BritPinkTag
Tourist
4 0 30

@Lizzy 

Do you think Shopify will eventually resolve the gift card problem?  Most platforms allow gift cards to be "gifted" i.e. emailed to the recipient without adding additional steps to the consumer process.

Rahmafm
Visitor
2 0 5

Let's pray for that. 

gsvec00
Tourist
8 0 4

Hi Luis!

I had the same question a few months ago! I am now using rise.ai (https://apps.shopify.com/rise-ai) which is a shopify app that allows customers to send gift cards directly from the customer to the recipient. It also has a really simple customer experience, it is easy to set up, and it looks great on my website. 🙂

Hope this helped!

Best,

Gaby

Nik_Hawks
Shopify Partner
18 0 47

Plus one for this.  We're using LoyaltyLion for our rewards program, so I don't want to add rise.ai and confuse the whole loyalty points thing.  

It definitely does not make sense that you can't specify a different recipient for your gift than the person buying it.  I mean, I buy gifts for myself all the time, but I also like to buy gifts for other people.  

Yo Shopify, any timeline on when this'll be fixed?

WasWooCommerce
Excursionist
14 0 20

Totally agree on the recipients email address - it's a gift card for someone else (not the customer purchasing it). Duh, doh!

Come on Shopify dev team - this is a no brainer to add in an email address for the recipient. I can't think of a platform that doesn't have this most basic of functions.

I constantly sit here in wonderment at the gross lack of basic functionality in Shopify. Great platform but how on earth do "real" customers use it?

And don't get me started on the collections logic issues - all I want to do is to include a tag and exclude a tag for a collection. Oh my goodness.

Jakobi
Tourist
10 0 5

Hello,

Do you have any plans to bring your gift card checkout process up to the year 2021? Sending gift cards directly to the recipient is a must-have feature and nearly all e-commerce websites offer this. Thank you.

shaym1012
Visitor
1 0 5

Come on Shopify. Seriously, get it together!  I spent 2 months rebuilding our website, moving from Squarespace to Shopify, so that we could offer Direct-to-Consumer sales.  I have had to add expensive plug-ins to offer curbside delivery vs. local home delivery options with calendar options, which is the only reason why I made the switch to Shopify.  Squarespace did not have this option.  Now I am getting requests for gift certificates and cannot believe that especially now, during a Pandemic when people cannot have contact with each other, the leading sales platform for websites (Shopify), does not offer a proper system for selling/ordering/emailing gift certificates.  This is NOT good enough and you need to get to get this figured out! 

Jakobi
Tourist
10 0 5

Hello,

What is Shopify's plan to update their gift card system so we can have customers that can send gift cards directly to the recipient? Any updates?

Bulxar
Shopify Partner
82 2 22

PLEASE USE PAID APP FOR THAT

laughing-bonobo-crop.jpg

WasWooCommerce
Excursionist
14 0 20

Very good and on target for Shopify's support for basic functionality. "We will feedback to our dev team and this might be added as a feature at a later date". Does this come with the pie in the sky, a long stand and a left handed spanner?

StacyMGC
Tourist
4 0 8

+1 on this is basic functionality, the ENTIRE POINT of sending a gift card is to gift it to someone else, the exception would be to purchase it for oneself.  Not only does this not function correctly it is really confusing, I just added the gift card to my store and then proceeded to pretend to buy one to see what the customer experience would be like and almost completed the transaction because I was sure that I'd be coming to a page asking me where I wanted it to be sent.  Shopify please HELP!!!!!!

bodytruth
Tourist
3 0 5
Shopify isn’t going to help. It’s one of the myriad of ridiculous
functionalities that makes no sense! They created it knowing this would be
the case and many of us have already expressed concern. They’re not going
to change it until people start bailing from their platform. I’m working on
that myself.... bailing.

I’ve been with Shopify for around 6 years.
Jackson_McLean
Excursionist
19 0 12

I just had a customer complain about this and decided not to buy the gift card. Shopify please fix this.

bodytruth
Tourist
3 0 5
I have had customers by 10-15 gift cards for family and friends during the
holidays. I had to cancel each card and manually create new card so that I
could send them to each recipient with the desired message and that took me
a couple of hours to do. I was highly annoyed at the time waste especially
at Christmas! I also tried a couple of the gift card apps that promise to
send the card and a message to the recipient and those were a flop.

jachilles03
Tourist
8 0 2

Has anyone had any luck with a  solve here? looking to just add the ability to allow a customer to send a gift card to a another email.  Not looking for a full loyalty platform  

Jackson_McLean
Excursionist
19 0 12

Bumping this since it still isn't resolved. Just had a customer call and say how unprofessional it is to have to forward a gift card to the recipient, and I have to agree. It's embarrassing.

Shopify, please add a "recipient email" field when customers purchase a gift card. It can't be that difficult, and shouldn't require purchasing another monthly paid app.

Thank you.

lwarbs95
Visitor
1 0 2

Shopify please fix this soon! i may move onto another platform if this cant be resolved. It seems bizarre that this basic functionality is not an option..

oceandrive
Visitor
2 0 2

It's been 5 years since the original post and I can't believe Shopify has not fixed this basic thing until now.  

luizhenrique
Shopify Partner
5 1 0

There is a way, inside the add to cart form you need to put two optional inputs in case of gift card:

<input type="email" placeholder="E-mail" name="properties[Recipient email]">
<input autocomplete="name" type="text" name="properties[Recipient name]" placeholder="Nome">

This will pass the properties to the product and the product being a gift card will be sent to the given email address.

madamshai
Tourist
4 0 4

Hi Luizhenrique,  Thanks for providing your code however I was hoping you could help to expand/explain in more detail?  I know shopify recently add the send to recipient feature but I am one of the unlucky few who is using a really old theme that is so customized that I can not update.  So I'm trying to find a way to hard code this into my theme.  I did successfully add your above code to my product-form.liquid (I made a new one specifically for gift cards)... and I see the input fields on the product page and I also see the inputted information on the checkout page.  However, once I checkout it does not send the giftcard to the the recipient's email that was entered. It also does not show the entered details on the backend in the order details.  Can you tell me where exactly I should add the code so that it triggers the action to automatically send to the recipient's email?  Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I've spent HOURS trying to find something like this for vintage themes and I feel like I'm so close to solving!!

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 17.30.17.pngScreenshot 2023-07-18 at 17.31.04.pngScreenshot 2023-07-18 at 17.31.53.png