How to separate yourself from the beginning

8 0 0
Greetings. This is my first post here. My question is as follows:
2 months ago I told myself I would do Shopify and succeed no matter what and finish what I started. Since then I’ve built a site/general store. I ran 2 fb ads but did not sell anything(not the point).

Unfortunately even with Shopify and people who take action only a very slim # of people will succeed tremendously. I’m using this as a way to reach my goals and am taking it very seriously. Given the absolute plethora of information on Shopify, thousands of “Wantraprenuers” saying this will be my big break, 1000’s of Gurus, how do I make sure I set myself apart from the rest right out of the gate and succeed? I’m aware there’s a level of testing that needs to take place, but what are the crucial Foundational Principles for Shopify + Marketing. I live the 80/20 rule but I feel my mind slowly getting a bit lost in what I should follow, who I should follow, and what the most important steps are into actually making money with Shopify. I think it’s very important to form good habits in any new venture and I want to make sure that what I’m doing/methods is statistically what the people that actually crush it are doing.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
328 10 46

Assuming you have a quality product that people want to buy, to find your market and strategies that will work for your brand I'd run a bunch of small marketing experiments in different areas (social, ppc, influencer, affiliate, etc)... see what works, then go hard on that channel.

- FB cold ads usually take time to figure out and get dialed in. I like FB for remarketing but not much for cold marketing unless you have a really unique product or laser targeted audience.

- Google Ads are great for testing and getting sales, I'd start there. If you're not converting at least 1% of traffic with Google ads, you can probably assume either your product or funnel isn't working well.

- Some brands do well with Instagram, some with FB, some with Pinterest, some with Twitter... you might try figuring out 1 social network then try publishing content / building audience on 1 channel. This will depend on the brand. I like Instagram for product brands.

- Email marketing is great, and there are some nice apps to automate this. One thing most people say is "I wish I would have started collecting emails earlier". I'd set up an email capture and start an email strategy early on.

- To answer the title of your question: try to be unique and inject personality into your brand and messaging. There are so many places to buy stuff online, you need to either have a cool brand, amazing products, a purpose, or some other reason to buy from you instead of the others. Connect with your audience on an emotional level.

- You mentioned you built a "general store". I think you're going to have a really hard time making that type of store successful. There's already a giant general store called Amazon :) ... most of the successful stores I've worked with have a clear niche, clear target audience, and invest in good branding/messaging to provide a cool experience.

ABT - Always Be Testing 🤓

Founder of Speed Boostr - we make Shopify sites faster.
Analyze your site at analyze.speedboostr.com.
I also build custom apps, systems, and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
8 0 0
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I’m looking to keep things as simple as possible with Shopify in the beginning. However my issue with that is that of course the innards to a successful Shopify Store can be quite complicated. Something that would give me confusion would be like in regards to say FB ads, prior to you getting a SALE, what metric would determine that the ad is SUCCEEDING, would it be a 10 relevant score? I have a friend who has a Shopify Store that is making money and he’s big on the idea of 1 sale then 2 3 etc etc. A lot of people I learn from also preach on the idea that you don’t want to spend too much time on the theme design but more the ad crafting, testing, and execution. What are your thoughts on that? Moreover, say with running fb ads it seems like you can actually do this within Shopify itself? However the guy I’m learning from posts all his products that he wants to market to his FB page first using the same description as the description used on his site. Once he posts them, he then goes into Ad manager and runs ads from “Create from Existing Post”, statistically he says this works better than right from the ad manager. Have you heard this? I hear other people saying that picture ads are outdated and anyone that uses them is not being smart and that video ads are crucial/mandatory for success. I guess people can fail their way to success by time and money but as much as possible im looking to eliminate any BS that is a waste time or not what the 1% Shopify guys are doing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
328 10 46

Theme design is crucial because it's a main factor in conversions (the other main factor being the quality of your audience).

For your other questions, I'd consult a FB ads expert on those. I've done some successful FB ads myself and worked with people doing well, but personally am not a FB marketer so can't give you the best advice on specifics.

Founder of Speed Boostr - we make Shopify sites faster.
Analyze your site at analyze.speedboostr.com.
I also build custom apps, systems, and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
8 0 0
I guess I’m at a Point where I think my site is good, simple and ready for ads and sales but I’m not an expert so I don’t even know what I don’t know. What are the crucial basic targets that should be hit on the site prior to running ads? I don’t want to get into a tweaking issue where you tweak tweak etc because there’s always something else you can do. Meanwhile, I haven’t made 1 sale of the site, and don’t want to do the whole family friends first sale advice because that’s fake and not real. So I guess since I’m very new I just feel foolish running an ad to site that like I don’t have 100% confidence is set up correctly even though it may be. Any feedback? Many products that I added from the start are now sold out and 90% I probably won’t even run a paid ad to. How do I leave this circus it seems of tweaking, doing, knowing and not wasting my precious money.
0 Likes