How to set up a product redirect from old domain to shopify - No /product/ folder

Solved
Highlighted
Explorer
87 1 17

So my old website (same domain name) did not have a products directory.  My urls were set up as  domain.com/product-name.html

It seems I still have some serps sitting out there that are going to a 404 page (and the customer is just bouncing off -as is google bot)  

Is there any way to set up some 301 redirects from domain.com/product-name.html  to  domain.com/products/product-name.html

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
293 32 66

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @TAGSAngel 

To add redirects:

1. Go to your Navigation menu

MelsMojoBob_0-1598385361490.png

2. In the Navigation screen, under the page header, there is a link for URL Redirects. Click here.

MelsMojoBob_1-1598385420215.png

3. Click the "Create URL redirect" button

MelsMojoBob_2-1598385465948.png

4. Add the 'From' and 'To' URLs for the redirect.

MelsMojoBob_3-1598385523260.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
87 1 17

@MelsMojoBob    THANK YOU!!!!  so much.    I am assuming www.  non www  or http  https  do not matter? or do I need to set that up for all versions of whatever might be linked out in serp land?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
293 32 66

@TAGSAngel 

You are correct. You don't need to include them. You also shouldn't need to include the ".html" extension. Are you seeing that extension in the URL when you go on one of your product pages now?

Here is an example of a redirect we have set up in our store currently:

MelsMojoBob_0-1598387313835.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
87 1 17

I do not!  I did, however, make a mistake when I first put up the page on shopify and put .html on the url (as I was trying to get it exact to the old site)  Not realizing shopify would change that to -html   at this point I'm not going to do a double redirect so I'll just leave it as is.
Thanks I really appreciate the responses and the screen shots!  they were most helpful!

0 Likes