How to setup BUY X GET Y FREE (with Y is any product) without code?

7Steven
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi guys,

I want to set up BUY X GET Y FREE.

With Y is 1 in all of the products (Any product).

Without use discount code. Customers just add 2 any items to the cart and BOGO promotion active right away before they go to checkout page.

I tried to install and use the Ultimate Sales Boost app, but couldn't set up (May I do wrong way).

Please help me, guys!

Thank you so much!

Replies 19 (19)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @7Steven!

This is Rae from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out with this question, and welcome to the Shopify Community. 

The best way to set up a Buy X Get Y discount, without using a discount code, is to use automatic discounts directly within your Shopify admin. These discounts are applied automatically to applicable orders, without customers having to manually enter in a discount code. The customer will see this discount applied to their order in their cart, and also within the checkout on your site. To set up a Buy X Get Y automatic discount, just follow these steps. Does this look like the type of discount code you're looking for? 

I'm sorry to hear that the app you tried didn't work. If you prefer to use an app, rather than the built-in automatic discount feature, then I suggest reaching out to the app developer directly to inquire further about how to set up their app and how it works. You can contact them by following these steps. Equally, you may want to check out some similar apps like Automatic Discount or Discount Ninja to add this feature to your site, as well. These are also third party integrations, so if you require any assistance with setting up these apps, make sure to reach out to the app developers directly for more information. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, and I'll be glad to help further. 

In the meantime, do you have any plans to advertise the discounts you're offering? I'd love to hear more about any marketing campaigns you have in mind! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

raj09199999
Tourist
7 0 9

You need to fix automatic discounts. There is bug. I set up buy 2 get 1 free and when I add to cart and select 2 items it doesnt show discount. I have to click on quantity + again to activate it. Please resolve this. It's very annoying

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @raj09199999

I appreciate you reaching out to let me know about this issue you're encountering. 

To confirm, did you create your automatic Buy X Get Y discount code by following these steps? If so, it's important to note that customers must add all applicable items to their shopping cart first in order for the discount code to correctly apply, as the items that are part of the promotion won't be automatically added to the customer's cart. We have more details on this here

In the meantime though, can you please tell me a bit more about the steps you're taking when you click on the quantity to activate the discount? Feel free to share a screenshot of how this process appears on your end, so that I can take a closer look into this. I recommend blocking out any sensitive information on the screenshot, too. 

I'd also like to test out this discount code on my end directly. With this in mind, can you please reply back to me here with your store's URL, as well as the discount code, and the products required to activate this code? 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon with more details! 

raj09199999
Tourist
7 0 9

Here are the pics below:

Capture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG

As you can see i created discount correctly. Buy 2 get one free for my shelfpurse product. I selected quantity 2. But still discount doesn't apply.Infact I have to click on + again to avail the discounted value. 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @raj09199999

Thank you for getting back to me with these details. 

I can see you have this discount code set up so that when customers buy two ShelfPurse products, they are able to receive a third for free. In order for customers to take advantage of this automatic discount, they will need to add three ShelfPurse products into their cart first. Automatic discounts will only apply once all eligible items are inside the cart - including the items the customer needs to purchase to receive the discount, as well as the free item they will receive as part of the promotion. This help document outlines more details on this. 

With this in mind, as long as customers add three ShelfPurse products into their cart, they should receive the automatic discount, and get the third product for free. When you test this on your end, does it work correctly?

To ensure this process is clear to your customers, I recommend adding information to your product description that outlines if customers add three ShelfPurse products to their cart, they will only be charged for two, and receive the third for free. You can edit your product description directly in your Shopify admin by clicking 'Products', selecting your ShelfPurse product, and editing the details in the 'Description'  box. 

In the meantime though, I'm going to pass on your feedback to our Product team so they can read over your thoughts regarding how this discount code is applied. 

If there's anything else I can assist with, please let me know! 

dbspez
Tourist
3 0 9

Thats not what customers think buy x get y free is.

Customers would add only x number of items in their cart expecting to get y number of items automatically given for free.

very wrong logic here

raj09199999
Tourist
7 0 9

Yes 100 otercent I agree. Customer won't add 3 to get the buy 2 get 1 free discount. Customer will only add 2 and expect to see the availed discount. Please make these changes so we can set up automatic discount properly. Especially black Friday is coming close too. 

dbspez
Tourist
3 0 9

im new to shopify and very frustrated with this logic here. I can't open the website because of this issue.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @dbspez and @raj09199999

Thank you both for sharing your feedback and concerns. 

I understand how important this feature is for each of your businesses, and for customers trying to use Buy X Get Y discounts. With that said, I'm going to share your thoughts on this with our teams directly so that they can review your comments. If we have any updates to share on this in the future, we'll post these on our changelog, so I recommend keeping an eye out there. 

In the meantime though, to ensure customers know how to use Buy X Get Y promotions, I recommend adding an announcement bar to your site that outlines how this discount works. If you're using either the Debut or Venture theme, this feature is built-in and available to set up via the Theme Editor by following the steps listed here under the 'Add an announcement bar' section.

However, if your theme doesn't offer this, using a third-party app like Quick Announcement Bar, or Multi-Announcement Bar Maker, is also a great option. If you have any questions about using these apps to create an announcement bar, the developers of the apps can assist further. You can contact them directly by following these steps

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, and I can certainly lend a hand. 

raj09199999
Tourist
7 0 9

Hi is this automatic discount error fixed yet. It really needs to be Black Friday and Q4 is here. It really is a let down.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @raj09199999

Thank you for following up and checking in. I appreciate you continuing to share your thoughts on this process, and how it's impacting your business ahead of Black Friday Cyber Monday.  

I've shared your feedback regarding the way Buy X Get Y discounts work with our teams directly. While we can't confirm if any changes will be made to the process of using these discounts, if we have new information to share, we'll post an update on our changelog

In the meantime, our help document here outlines more details on how these discount codes work, and how customers can use them. 

Thanks!

raj09199999
Tourist
7 0 9

I guess change needs to be made because as you can see in discussion its affecting many others. This automatic discount must be fixed. We are paying Shopify monthly fees for reason. So we expect if there is a bug it should be resolved, especially during critical time like this in Q4. Please address this automatic discount bug/error immediately.

Marijke
Visitor
1 0 0

I I just set the automatic discount get 1, buy Y with discount, but it does not show up. Time is also set correctly.
Can you watch with me?discount.png

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Marijke

Thanks for joining this thread. I'm happy to help out! 

Did you follow these steps to create this discount code?

If so, when you test this code on your end, are you adding both the minimum quantity of products that the customer needs to buy, as well as the discounted product into your cart? This is required for automatic Buy X Get Y discount codes to work, as the discounted product won't be automatically added to the cart. We have more details on this here

In the meantime, I'd like to test your discount code out on my end. So that I can do this, can you please confirm: 

• Your store's URL
  • The name of the product that the customer needs to buy to qualify for the discount
  • The name of the product that's 10% off 

Once I have these details, I can take a closer look. 

I hope to hear back from you about this soon! 

ManuelFenech
5 0 0

Hi Rae,

I have applied the discount Buy X Get Y and it's automatic. However, is there a way where potential customers can see the offer before they check out? At this point, they will only know this when they add the item to cart. 

tcarroll123
9 0 0

Is there a way to remind the customer of the Buy X Get Y offer. for example when they go to cart before they checkout, a pop up to say "if you buy this with your current product you get % off" etc. 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @tcarroll123

Great question! 

There are many pop-up apps in the Shopify App Store that can help offer this functionality.

An option like Automatic Discount & Gift may be what you're looking for, as this app can be used to upsell, cross-sell, and suggest BOGO deals. Equally, Discount Ninja can be used to offer discounts based on cart value or contents. 

I recommend checking out both of these options to see if they'll suit your needs. It's important to note that these are third-party apps, though, so it's best to reach out to the app developers directly if you have any questions or concerns about using these apps, or setting them up. If needed, you can contact the app developers by following these steps

Let me know if you're looking for a different type of app instead, and I can certainly help make some other suggestions! 

GoodToGo
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Rae,

While I fully understand that you've explained how the discount works, and how to communicate this to the customer, I agree with other here that the logic does not align with what customers expect to see from a buy x get y free scenario. Hoping my feedback helps push Shopify to correct this issue.

Shoppers don't expect to have to manually add all items (including free gift) into the cart. If say buy 2 items get a third free, the third should be added during the checkout process when the discount code is applied. Yes, this can be explained in an announcement, but that's cumbersome and over-complicating what should be a simple process (aka a customer service headache as there's always a number of folks who simply won't get it). 

Thanks

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @GoodToGo

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your feedback on this, and understand how this may impact customers and their experience on your site. I've shared your points directly with our teams so we can continue to review these on our end. 

If we make any adjustments to how this discount code works, we'll post these on our changelog, as well as our Updates blog, so make sure to check out those resources for any future changes. 

Best,