How to show Variation products in search and collections?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi all, my store is tiddlersandnippers.com

My customers are missing the variation products when searching. ie, when they search 'bath mat' it will bring up the 'fish' bath mat and they do not realise that there are other designs. 

Is there a way of showing all variant products when a customer searches for 'bath mat' for example to show all of the designs, fish, beach, London, diggers & fairies?

I've looked at some apps, and it appears that they can make them show in the collections, but not the search. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Kelly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 77 107

Hi, @Tiddlers,

Hank here from Shopify. Really great question!

Some themes have this built into them but others do not, but that does not mean it can't be done!

So as you mentioned there are some apps that can do this. Such apps include the likes of Smart Product Filter & Search and Product Filter & Search that allows you to set up different rules within your store. So you can set up that your store is searchable by your variants amongst many other ways. More apps that can do this are located here for you to look at.

Another way you would be able to do this is through a coding change in your theme. Do you know what theme you are using currently? If it is a free theme by Shopify, then our theme developers can look into this further for you by letting me know.

However, if this is a third-party theme the process is slightly different. You would need to reach out to your theme developer to get them to make these changes for you as this would not be supported by Shopify. To find out who your theme developer is, you can find it by doing the steps in this guide.21-23-368hk-qahz9Let me know how you get on with this, or if you need further assistance, please let me know!

All the best, Hank.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
99 6 7

Hi @Tiddlers,

Setting up product filter on search results page will help your customers know about other product variants.

So the filter option like Design will show up other patterns so that your customers can select what they want. Ultimate Filter and Search allows you to create visual swatch for filter values, like this:

IMG-11.png

One advanced feature of the app is showing the respective product variant with the search term. For example, searching for "red tshirt" will show up the red product image even though it has main color in blue. Displaying the irrelevant product image may confuse the users since it does not make sense to click on the colors they don't want. 

You can take a look at our demo store (Vertical sidebar) https://usf-vertical.myshopify.com/ or (Horizontal toolbar) https://usf-horizontal.myshopify.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Hank, 

Thanks for the info. The theme is:

YOURSTORE (VERSION 2.0.0)

Design and support by Etheme

Many Thanks

Kelly

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

hi,

I am having a similar issue, when my customer search for a specific color, size, or product. Instead of showing the picture , price and title of that product in search result it shows the parent item. which in most cases does not showcase the variation item customer is searching for. Is there any solution for that(i have tried the apps you have shared but they also have the same problem.

Thanks & Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
99 6 7

Hello @Tiddlers and @m-mughal 

Ultimate Filter & Search has released the out-of the-box feature to show variants (based on specific options, such as color, pattern, print) as single products on Collection, Search results and Instant Search.

Demo store: https://usf-horizontal.myshopify.com/collections/shirts

I hope this could help to solve your issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

hi @Nancy_Drake 

Thanks for your reply. I tried "Ultimate Filter & Search" but this one also dont work properly. It works for color variations but it fails in size variation. it only shows the correct results only if you search the exact same term which is saved as variation and sometimes even that fails. I tried using synonyms etc but still the same result. i contacted their support team but after some tinkering they also failed and gave up. Considering what they are charging for these features partially working solution it does not make any sense. 

Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it.

Regards,

0 Likes