How to show local currency with Shopify Payments?

Highlighted
Explorer
121 0 20

Shopify support couldn't answer my question, so I'll try here.

I am running a Danish webshop but with multi-language and a full international shop on the same solution (en. instead of www.).

I am currently using Langify and geolizr and I'm very happy about that. However, I have quite some customers from aboard dropping out of checkout - possibly because it changes to my local shop currency.

This could be solved with Shopify Payments (SP).

But ... I'm running multiple Google Shopping campaigns outside Denmark - and these feeds are by Google required to show the local shop price (DKK) - which should match the prices (DKK) in the feed.

I'v solved that now by setting up some collections outputting the right stuff for Google (also different requirements for different countries in Google Shopping).

But if I switch so SP, then Google with not be able to match the feed price (DKK) on the product page - because Shopify automatically calculates and shows the user currency.

So I need to be able to show the local currency on the product as well (DKK) - an amount that is NOT changed by Shopify when building the page - to still be able to run Google Shopping.

See this image for how it looks today:

sp.PNG

Owner @ https://en.authentic.dk
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
81 1 13

Hi Kenneth,

I thought this could be an interesting question to try and tackle with you. After a quick look around the Shopify Liquid documentation (the store theme’s template language), I haven’t’ found anything that satisfying.

I'm not a theme developer, but one thing that might prove helpful is: Shopify themes contain a ‘locales’ folder, which contains translated words for the different words needed in a theme. Here’s an example from a French file below:

"products": {
    "product": {
      "sold_out": "Épuisé",
      "unavailable": "Non disponible",
      "will_not_ship_until": "Sera expédié après {{ date }}",
      "will_be_in_stock_after": "Sera en stock à compter de {{ date }}",
      "sale_price": "Prix réduit",
      "regular_price": "Prix régulier",
      "on_sale": "En solde",
      "on_sale_from_html": "En solde {{ price }}",
      "from_text_html": "À partir de {{ price }}",
      "quantity": "Quantité",
      "add_to_cart": "Ajouter au panier",
      "full_details": "Tous les détails",
      "view": "Voir",
      "stock_available": {
        "one": "{{ count }} restant",
        "other": "{{ count }} restant"
      },

So, Shopify is finding your users location and serving them the correct translated version of the page. It stands to reason that you could add a new entry to the above JSON object with something like "currency": "€", and the equivalent line for the rest of the locale files. Then, have either your theme's product-template.liquid file adjusted to incorporate the new 'product.currency' tag, or add in a quick Javascript snippet on your product pages which dynamically updates the prices, pulling from that JSON object.

I know it's not a straightforward solution, but thought it might be helpful.

Cheers,

Oli

——————————

Founder @ www.PreProduct.io

Test and make sales for future products

"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
121 0 20

Hi Oli

Thanks - and very intestering.

I am no tech guy so I can't figure out if it will work - but from what I understand from your post, this only handles strings/symbols etc, right?

I would need the actual DKK price to show. The translation part handles Langify very well, but if I cannot get out the raw liquid product price in the shop currency, I'm lost (I guess :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
81 1 13

Yep, so the above process would serve up the correct currency symbol, which would be a string. However, your right, it wouldn't update the number used in the price.
For working out the converted price in the user's local currency; I think you would probably have to make a request to a third-party currency conversion API/service. Maybe through the front-end with Javascript, which might use the currency symbol served up by the Shopify theme in it's request to the conversion API. Then, once it's received the converted price from the API, it updates your product's price in real-time.

This does seem like a lot of effort though. It does seem strange that there isn't a native option with Shopify for this. 

——————————

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
121 0 20
The problem with using a third party conversion service is the fact that this will almost never match the original, local price in DKK due to the fact that it converts a price whereas the shop price is not converted but the base price. And even the slightest mismatch makes my feed unusable in Google Shopping 😕
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
81 1 13

Ah, got you. It's a tricky problem. I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind!

——————————

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
146 2 9

Hi there! You may potentially use Geo Targetly generating campaigns links which redirect visitors to URL pages with their local currencies.

Its Geo Links tool can generate link that redirect visitors to correct URLs based on visitor location, which is widely used in social medium campaign.

Let's take a look of your product and check put pages with multiple currencies first. With Shopify payments, when the currency is changed, it adds a parameter to the URL link, for example, exampleshop.com?cur=USD, or exampleshop.com?cur=GBP. It's similar to your product page URLs displaying local currencies. 

You may use your product or check out pages for your social medium campaign, allowing multiple currencies. With Geo Links tool, it can generate short URL links that auto redirect clicks and drive traffic with redirect URLs based on visitors' IP geolocations. For example, if a visitor in UK clicks the campaign link on social media, it will auto direct him to exampleshop.com?cur=GBP, while a US visitor will be directed to exampleshop.com?cur=USD.  You can easily set up redirecting rules within a few steps, and short friendly URL links can be generated.

Hope it helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
121 0 20

Hi

Thanks - but I have the best geo app in my point of view already.

I've given up on showing local currency and Shopify support keeps giving me close to 'canned answers' asking to 'contact an expert'.

But all experts require documentation - which I what I've been asking for.

Support also seems to be full of flaws when it comes to Shopify Payments. I got several wrong and different answers on several topics from different 'gurus'. It's very clear they have been told to push all merchant into SP no matter the cost.

0 Likes