How to start a Shopify business in UAE when I reside in the USA?

4 0 0
I want to start a Shopify business in Dubai while I am in the USA. Is that possible?
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 27 51

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. You can start a business that focuses on the Dubai market, regardless of your location currently. However, the trouble you will encounter is in signing up for a payment gateway that allows for payments in Dubai while residing elsewhere. Do you have a physical location in Dubai that you could use as your business address? It might be best to query with the payment gateway first about whether they could support your business. We have a full list of available gateways by region here.

This will hopefully make you aware of your options, and you can reach out to the different gateways to see if any of them can support your business while you are in the US. 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hello Cal! Thank you for your response. So me and my family have a general trade license in Dubai. They reside in Dubai and have a physical location there. What else would I need in order to start? Because I do not necessarily need to receive payments. My Dad could receive payments since he resides in Dubai. Does that sound possible? I just want to be able to set up the  store and monitor it. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 27 51

In this instance, I would use all of your parent's information when setting up the store. You need nothing else to get started, but I do reckon you will want a payment gateway, so you should check the list of available gateways I sent earlier. If you want customers to be able to place orders on your store it will be essential, as most customers won't want to use bank drafts, cash on delivery etc. 

Is this your first store? I'd recommend checking out some of the resources we have that will introduce you to the platform, the 'Getting Started on Shopify' course on the Shopify Academy would be a great start. This will walk you through the steps of creating your own online store and getting your business up and running!

Have you got a product in mind? Have you thought about who your market audience would be?

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you Cal. I will go through the Shopify Education as I am new to this. I still have not figured out a product yet or any market audience. Any tips for that? 

0 Likes