How to transfer a domain to a different shopify store/account.

samrayniak
1 0 0

I have created two Shopify accounts but I created the new domain I wanted to use for the new account, in the old account. 

I can't seem to find any clear instructions on how to transfer the new domain to my new second Shopify account.

Pressing the transfer domain button doesn't seem to work, I keep getting errors to contact support to initiate the transfer.

Please help! Thank you!

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1704 181 501

Hey there, @samrayniak 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you for reaching out, that is a great question. Please note that domains can be transferred between Shopify stores, however, they cannot be selected as the primary domain if you are transferring it - you will need to change your primary domain before trying to move it. Also, myshopify.com domains cannot be transferred. 

Steps:

1. Log in to the Shopify store that uses the domain that you want to transfer.
  2. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  3. Click Manage to open the settings for the domain that you want to transfer.
  4. Click Transfer domain.
  5. Click Transfer to another Shopify store.
  6. Confirm that your registrar information and your associated email address are up to date, then click Send transfer link. You'll receive an email that contains a transfer link.
  7. When you receive the email, click the transfer link in the email text.

8. Log in to the Shopify store where you want to transfer the domain.

Changing your registrar information can result in a 60-day lock of your domain, which will prevent you from transferring your domain. Check with your registrar to find out if this policy applies to your domain.

For the domain transfer to succeed, the store owner needs to log in to the Shopify store directly from the transfer link in the email. If you're transferring the domain to a different store owner, then forward the email to the store owner so that they can log in to Shopify.

The domain transfer will complete within 24 hours.

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes