How to turn automatic selection of variation off?

Reinier24
6 0 0

Hi everybody, 

My website is: www.allmusthaves.com
Password to enter is: rtaoma

Shopify automaticly selects a variation when product page is loaded, do you guys know how I can adjust it so that shopify is not automaticly selecting any variation when page is loaded. See this product as an example: https://allmusthaves.com/collections/beanies-and-hats/products/bad-hair-day-beanie-11-colors

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance for the help!

0 Likes
Mairead
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 0 4

Hi there,

This is Mairead here, one of your gurus at Shopify! I hope your day is going well :)

If you wanted to disable the function where a variant is automatically select you can make 'Pick an option' the default choice in product drop-down menus :)

We have a guide on this here! This will prompt your customers to pick a variant for a product before adding it to their cart by customizing your product pages to make that a required step.

If you have any issues with the set up, don't hesitate to reach out to us via Shopify Support via email, phone or chat :)

Have a great day!

Mairead
Shopify Guru

Reinier24
6 0 0

@Mairead, thank you so much!!! I managed to fix the problem :D Would you happen to know how I can solve my other problem? See this topic: https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/how-to-make-top-menu-more-wide-403775

0 Likes
mishikart
1 0 0

Hi, I tried doing the same for turning the default selection off. The default selection is turning off but there is one issue. When a product page is opened, no default variant is selected but when someone selects the first variant, the image is not changing only for first variant.

But if we move to 2nd variant and then come back to 1st variant, images are changing correctly

0 Likes
VitZen
4 0 0

Hi- this worked amazing!  There is one issue though. 

Now when the drop down auto starts on “please choose a product”, the “add to cart button” says “out of stock”. This is despite the fact that all variants are available. 

I don’t want people to leave my product pages assuming all my products are sold out. 

Is there code for when variant selected is “please choose a product” cart button says “Please choose an option”? 

Thanks!!! 

0 Likes