How to understand my customer data and learn more about my customers?

Solved
Daisymaria
Tourist
12 0 6

Hi there,

I'm trying to learn more about my customers using my Shopify data, however I'm struggling to learn much as all my customers are based in the UK and I don't have any demographic, psychographic or behavioural data.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can start to collate this data (perhaps a more detailed sign up form?) and maybe apps that can help? I'm a small start up so don't have a massive budget but willing to invest in really useful tools.

Also any tips on keeping in line with GDPR would also be much appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Likes
Luna
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Daisymaria!

Luna here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out in our Community forums. I’m happy to provide you with some suggestions for learning more about your customers and their behaviours.

Have you had the chance to take a look at your Shopify Behaviour Reports? These reports can be very useful for learning what products are being added to the cart, the number of customers that have reached checkout, the number of sessions that resulted in a purchase, and more!

Going beyond this data, another common tool amongst our merchants is Google Analytics. This is a great way to track visitors, sessions, and other customer behaviour in your store. We have a great document that you can check out for Setting up Google Analytics here.

There are definitely some apps you can use to collect data in addition to the suggestions above. For example: 

To better understand your customer behaviour while live on your storefront, you could also consider using this app: 

• Better Replay: This app allows you to see a recording of shoppers’ sessions. You can see how they navigate and interact with your store, including what items they look at. 

In regards to the GDPR, we have a great Shopify Help Document that goes over how to ensure you are meeting the guidelines. When considering using a third-party app, you can review their privacy policy which details the data handling practices. Shopify requires that all apps listed on the Shopify App Store have this information available. 

If there’s a specific customer report that you’re hoping for, please let me know and I’ll be happy to continue working on this for you. 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
139 23 83

Hi @Daisymaria!

Our Customer Fields app is designed for the exact purpose you described; helping you understand and learn more about your customers. Within the app you can easily create customized registration and edit account forms so you can collect all sorts of data from your customers, including data for things that Shopify does not natively support (IE gender, birthday, favorite color, skin tone, allergies, clothing measurements, etc). The app also has a powerful customer directory so you can filter and segment your customers. Most importantly, all of the data collected by Customer Fields is saved into Shopify so you can easily access and utilize your customer data in a variety of different ways.

The app includes a 14-day free trial, so you're welcome to install the app and test out its features for a full two weeks at no cost!

Kyle W | Helium Dev, LLC
Helium builds apps for Shopify that thousands of merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu