I am furious...

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

We had a chargeback that was absolutely bogus.

We provided all of the backup, including the customers snarky emails and a letter from Fedex and the bank STILL sided with her.

This person has basically stolen $250 worth of product.

I cannot get in touch with Shopify to find out who the credit card company is because there is no longer a Shopify support telephone number.

I am so upset! I need to be able to talk to someone at this customers bank and make them see reason.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 36 64

Hi @Michele_Carr

Hyde here from Shopify. I completely empathize, that's very frustrating.

When it comes to chargebacks sadly the decision from the bank is final. Shopify cannot divulge information like customer bank details because we do not have access to them. Even if we did, we could not share them for data protection purposes. 

As bitter a pill as this is to swallow, you will need to look at this as a learning opportunity to help protect yourself against future possibly fraudulent orders. Here is some more information on chargebacks for you to go over. Really with any online store your best recourse is preventative: trying to prevent orders being placed on your store that are potentially fraudulent.

Your best way of doing this is a combination of Shopify's own fraud analysis algorithm, which cross-references billing and shipping addresses with card details and names to try to ascertain the credibility of the buyer, your own investigative efforts by using our Fraud Prevention Tips, and using the Fraud Filter app.

Another thing you could try doing is ensuring you are manually authorizing your orders, instead of doing it automatically. This will give you the opportunity to have a look at the order to see if anything seems off to you. You could cross-reference with the fraud prevention tips I listed above. You'd change this setting by going to Settings > Payments:

20-06-yh7wj-kvdmt

You could then once again place details from the suspicious orders into your Fraud Filter app. 

If you're based in the US, you may also be eligible for our Fraud Protect feature which is a type of insurance against chargebacks. Only businesses that meet certain criteria are eligible for Fraud Protect. For example, your business must be based in the United States and must use Shopify Payments. If you see a Fraud Protect section on the Shopify Payments page in your Shopify admin, then you are eligible for Fraud Protect.

I hope this all helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes