I am trying to upload a theme to shopify but theme size is Bigger

terrificjam
4 0 0

I am trying uplaod a theme to my store which I bought from Themeforest. The file size is 72MB but shopify allows upto 50mb. Is there any way to upload the file?

Replies 14 (14)

VinceNg
Shopify Partner
125 4 19

It seems you're trying to upload with a wrong way. Normally when you download the package from themeforest, they will included in their package the document guide, readme, and maybe a lot of zip theme file due to the design including a lot of layout. 

So you should read their guide first.

Vince Nguyen | Ecommerce Consultant at HappyPoints.io
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
Email me at: vince@happypoints.io
flnvaz
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello, I purchased a dedicated shopify theme for my shopify store on Template Monster, which is a very old and well known template/theme store but the support docs do not contain anything regarding the install or setup of the theme. I am very familiar with the normal process on Shopify to upload a theme but the problem is that the theme is over 50 MB in size which is a VERY annoying cap limit for such a field. Now typically, I know how to extract the zip file, remove any image directories or bloated items not necessary for the initial theme file upload but in this themes case it is not the images that is causing the problem. There is a ".fig" file which contains critical theme elements that can not be easily broken apart and this critical file is already 110 MB in size so there is no way to exclude it, I tried and get a failed attempt. So what are we supposed to do to get our theme uploaded when it is larger than 50 MB? Also, since there is no FTP access to our shopify store why is such a restriction imposed in this specific spot, many themes are larger then 50 MB even without their image directories so why make everyone's life so hard when the entire point of using shopify is to simplify things?

flnvaz
Visitor
2 0 0

Also, to clarify, my theme does not contain multiple options regarding the look or style. I understand some themes may have anywhere from 2-5 different style layouts and each of these are contained in one zipped file. Well, not for me, this is not the case, my theme has one style only and the source files are all well within the size limit with the exception of one file, and this one file I cannot open to dissect and that is a ".FIG" file. I have looked up and down for something that opens this file type but so far nothing works on Windows. Any advice would be appreciated! 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @flnvaz,

From a Shopify perspective, we can only ever advise on themes from the Shopify Theme Store as these are fully vetted, monitored, and maintained in close working relationships between the Theme Partners who develop them and teams within Shopify. These themes come with all the latest Shopify features and updates as well as best code practices and superb support. None of the themes on the Shopify Theme Store exceed the 50mb limit. This limit is set to ensure better store performance and certainly, any theme needing to be more than 50mb would raise concerns for any of our themes related teams. We can only actively promote or recommend themes from our store as the developers of those themes are held to exceptionally high standards and criteria as well as dedicated support. For any themes that are sourced elsewhere, we can only suggest that you contact the developer of that theme. As that 50mb limit has always been in place it would seem that that theme you are referring to was not fully developed to Shopify theme criteria if it is not able to meet the basic requirements of the file size.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

klm2inc
Visitor
1 0 0

i am new to shopify i have a theme i am trying to upload that is 57mb. i have to say i have worked with many shoping carts and stores alike and never had this kind of frustration with setting up a store.

this arbitrary number really makes no sense at all. instead of uploading and installing a theme complete with images i have to upload everything one at a time.  you put in no account for custom development and larger stores porting over to shopify.

this is poor design with no ability to upload a larger file another way.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024
I am trying uplaod a theme to my store which I bought from Themeforest. The file size is 72MB but shopify allows upto 50mb. Is there any way to upload the file?

Hi @terrificjam,

Nick here from Shopify. 

As you mentioned there is a limit of being able to upload only up to 50MB.  If you are having trouble with uploading your theme, then make sure that the .zip file is smaller than 50 MB. The Shopify team wrote an information document about this here

A way to potentially lower the size to upload it could be to extract the images from the assets folder then zip it back up and then upload the asset images separately. 

To take @VinceNg's response one step further, I would recommend looking at Themeforest's upload guide also as they would know best as it is their theme. I took a quick look and found it here

Hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

mayank_sood
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

try browser other than firefox, and make sure file size is less than 50 MB

Alhamra_Fashion
4 0 0

worked 100%

AlanPoyatos
Visitor
1 0 0

I have exactly the same problem.

Is a zip file. Have only 3,84MB.

Elise from ThereForest.install elise 2.JPGinstall elise.JPGinstall elise 3.JPG

Phaelen2003
4 0 0

I recently purchased a Themeforest theme as well.

All of these themes seem to have several layouts, and the large zip file that you get is all of them wrapped up together.  

You can only install 1 at a time.

The file that you download actually needs to be unzipped first.  THEN review the guide - the guide will show you the different layouts.  THEN determine which layout you want (these are going to be found in smaller zip files in the sources folder) and that's the theme you will upload.

Durabull
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue. I tried the recommendations made in this forum but none seemed to work.

mayank_sood
Shopify Partner
2 0 1
try to use chrome instead of firefox. that fixed the problem for me.
Durabull
Visitor
2 0 0

Yeah I missed that post in this forum and that helped but got me to a second error: zip does not contain a valid theme: missing template layout/theme liquid which is solved by unzipping the larger file you download and then uploading the zipped file inside that file. Unfortunately the instructions from Theme Forest are not that great.

qchurchill
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, Did you get this resolved, because I'm getting the same message, regarding no layout file?

@Durabull wrote:

Yeah I missed that post in this forum and that helped but got me to a second error: zip does not contain a valid theme: missing template layout/theme liquid which is solved by unzipping the larger file you download and then uploading the zipped file inside that file. Unfortunately the instructions from Theme Forest are not that great.