I am wondering how much time (hours/week) everyone is spending on their shopify store?

Highlighted
9 0 0
I have a "day" job and work on mine early mornings and late nights. I try to work on it daily, but that is not always possible.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2
I spent a whole weekend creating the website. After that, about 2-3 hours/day the first few weeks. I suggest you spend time finding the right apps and creating templates and processes to automatize your workflow. It will be time-consuming at first, but will pay off down the road.
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 3
Considering my client has a truckload of products (and another two stores they want to open) this is a full time job for me.
Highlighted
1 0 1
Get the iPhone app.. makes keeping on top of things really easy.
Highlighted
Trailblazer
255 0 80
I would say between 2 and 3 hours a day, more on weekends.
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 16
We did an initial push to get the store open, then paid for customization here and there (our video player for example). Other than that we spend about 1-2 hours a week max. The whole POINT of a Shopify store is to automate the processes and take you (the owner) out of the equation. This way you can work ON the business instead of IN the business. Our fulfillment center is connected to the website - so we don't even have to pack and ship. Orders are automatically processed twice a day. We use the Respondify app to send canned (but personalized) emails to customers that make it look like we are completely on top of things. With our free time - we're currently working on a new calendar product which we'll launch on KickStarter and then a Shopify store between Apr-June (using the same strategy that launched Coffee Joulies). Our current online store is a success - we're just aiming to replicate, rinse and repeat. A mentor once told me - "if you can't leave your company for a week, without the entire thing collapsing on itself... you own a job... not a business". If you're a slave to your website - there's a problem.
Highlighted
Trailblazer
255 0 80
"If you're a slave to your website - there's a problem." Worst advice I've ever heard.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 16
Danielle - if you're going to criticize - at least be CONSTRUCTIVE (or better yet - just keep your comments to yourself). Shooting down someone's comment without adding anything to back up your point or add to the conversation - is SPINELESS. I'd put my sales and success up with your site any day of the week. Sorry if you feel you need to work countless hours on your site. I disagree. How much of of the 14-30 hours a week you put into the site is productive?.... and how much of it is just keeping you busy? My guess is 20% of the work you're actually doing makes up 80% of your results. My point - which is a good one is - Shopify provides tools that help automate a TON of the mundane everyday tasks - which leaves more time for the owner to work on important stuff.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
255 0 80
@Michael Ha! I was coming in to apologize about my lack of explanation, but after reading your response and seeing how strongly you feel about your position I'll let the people in this thread decide on their own, it just isn't worth it. You made lots of assumptions about me, my site and my experience, none of which I'm going to dispute here.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 16
Danielle Again, absolutely spineless. The sum total of your contributions to this thread have been - zero. Incidentally, I made no assumptions other than the Pareto Principal (the 80/20 rule) which is a pretty well known idea. The 14-30 hours you work on your site were based on the numbers you provided. It's called arithmetic. Maybe if you automated your site a little you'd have time to pick up a book or better yet learn some manners.
0 Likes